TP No Kicker Facing Max(?) Pressure

• TP No Kicker Facing Max(?) Pressure

Hello guys,

have another hand that i wanted to share with you :)

Playing regular 10NL 6-max 5-handed anonymous on MG. HERO is BB with A :spade: 2 :spade: .

MP folds
      CO raises to 3BB
      BU folds
      SB folds
      BB HERO calls.

FLOP (6.5BB) : 9 :diamond: J :heart: A :club: . BB HERO checks, CO bets 3BB, BB HERO calls.
      TURN (12.5BB) : 3 :heart: . BB HERO checks, CO bets 9BB, BB HERO calls.
      RIVER (30.5BB) : 9 :spade: . BB HERO checks, CO bets 22.5BB, BB HERO folds.

Linecheck?

So yeah, don't think there's a lot to talk about pre / flop and turn as calling down seems the best option on each street, yet on the river this doesn't seem so clear - i have a great bluff catcher, not blocking any of the possible draws, which all have missed, also this runout seems pretty attractive to barrel away as i, as BB, just shouldn't have much strong hands if any - i'm mostly raising sets and 2-pair combos on the flop or at least on turn, also there just aren't many 9x in my range, since the turn bet was big. I think i will have a few 9 :heart: X :heart: combos, that is 9 :heart: 7 :heart: through A :heart: 9 :heart: , so total 6 combos, but that's it. And then there are all my Ax combos - everything's up to AT (except A9, which again, raises before river more often than not) is a split by the river, so in this case the difference i suppose is (non)blockers, as A x X :heart: blocks FDs, while A8 and AT straight draws and my exact hand is clearly not blocking any draws, so the question is would people triple barrel here often enough at all. Need almost 30% to call, villain has quite a few potential value bets, though i'm somewhat skeptical that even all best 1 pair Ax combos (AQ/AK) ALWAYS takes this line, yet there are still those and then 99/JJ/AA/A9/AJ/J9, problem is that here are also plenty draws which would make this a call, it's just a matter if people actually would fire the river with then enough too.... Your thoughts?

Thank you for responses :)
    • Preflop is actually 50/50 weighted usually between 3Bet and Calling vs 3x Openraises (EV is close, avoiding rake here is good as well, guess playing Micro at least you can mitigate a lot of that when calling). I would even say it tends to get more towards 3Bet when CO is a loose-agressive Reg and aggressive Postflop.

I don't expect random NL10 regs to show up with enough bluffs here on the river.
      Exploitative the fold is good, but it is close. You have to also see that you are splitting now with A4s-ATs. Considering size OTT and OTR I doubt though that there is a lot of weak Ax in the range, it should be more polarized, but with the randomness it is just a guess for how a NL10 villain will perceive this and act. Especially sizing up OTR screams valuetown with AK+.

Guess the river depends a bit on your own range, against size you have to defend here some Ax with certain kickers I am sure from a vacuum perspective. But I guess that will be AQo combos maybe A3s when he cbets 33 combos, so blocker aspect comes into play.
    • wafflecrunch wrote:

Preflop is actually 50/50 weighted usually between 3Bet and Calling vs 3x Openraises (EV is close, avoiding rake here is good as well, guess playing Micro at least you can mitigate a lot of that when calling). I would even say it tends to get more towards 3Bet when CO is a loose-agressive Reg and aggressive Postflop.
      Not that competent, so i don't understand the reasons for 3betting this hand pre - it's not for value, nor it's a bluff, even though i suppose we want FE? Facing loose-aggressive competition i in fact don't like 3betting it, as IMO people won't fold that much IP, so we will be going to the flop OOP in a bloated pot with an easily dominated hand, i don't really see what good could happen... If villain realizes that we're 3betting that wide pre we are also likely to face 4bets and that sucks here too.

Not that i don't accept new ideas - c'mon - bring it on :D

I personally am using pretty static default preflop ranges with clear poles of bluffs and value (except from SB), so if there's good reason to change that, would want to know how and why. For example i saw that snowie-based preflop range builder on their site, but that is such a difference from what i'm using now, so not entirely trusting it yet. I do agree that having better board coverage (SO 3betting more hands, but in lower than 100% frequencies) is great, yet something is stopping me from all of a sudden changing my preflop game so drastically (even though i'm not denying that it might benefit my game), so maybe you could suggest where i start in making that change if that's at all needed ATM?

Thank you greatly for current and further time spend on this thread :)
    • The wheel aces A2s-A5s retain their equity very well, even when facing stronger ranges. That means that as long as you have decent Foldequity with their A blocker, the EV of the 3Bet pre is usually higher or close to even to a coldcall vs 3x open.
      Against a 3x open you need ~30,7% equity in the BB to call with no other coldcaller involved, without factoring in rake.

You have that equity easily with low suited aces, especially for late opening ranges that are 20-25% and higher.

That is vs 25% CO open:
      power-equilab.com
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 46.42% 44.14% 2.28% { A2s }
      MP3 53.58% 51.31% 2.28% { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }

If you would 3bet and face a kind of solid CO Defend-Range (clicked that together, might not be that good):

power-equilab.com
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 44.93% 43.07% 1.86% { A2s }
      MP3 55.07% 53.21% 1.86% { <b>100: </b>TT-55, AQs-A8s, A5s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T8s+, 98s, 87s, 76s, KQo,<b> 50: </b>QQ-JJ, 97s, 86s, 64s+, 54s, AQo }

You do not loose a lot of equity and being the preflop 3better have foldequity and also initiative and can represent the uncapped range.

Now even if villain 4bets not to an absurd size of course, let us say he makes it 2.5x your 3bet -> you need ~42% equity plus a bit more for the rake

power-equilab.com
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 39.17% 34.55% 4.62% { A2s }
      MP3 60.83% 56.20% 4.62% { <b>100: </b>KK+, AKs, AKo,<b> 50: </b>QQ-JJ, A7s-A2s, K9s-K5s, 65s, 54s, AQo }

You are still close to having that against a 2.5x 4bet size with a little bit of edge postflop. ;)

Hope this helps with the preflop situation. So as you see while you have a little bit higher equity when coldcalling, you do not loose much of it when 3betting. It is then a choice between having the FE and initiative in a 3bet pot vs a stronger range, versus facing a wider range in a raised pot being oop and without initiative.
    • Hey, thanks for such an informative post! :)

However, just wanted to clear things up about the whole range i'm playing - we have A2s here, but i suppose i can do the same for the same reasons with any Axs then, also most of the other stuff, so in that sense it feels that i'd be using something like a linear 3bet only strat then...? Hope it's clear what i'm asking about - how to then balance the remaining range between calls/folds/3bets...? :)

Thank you for response :)
    • A9s-A6s just can make 1card straights and also run the risk of opponent blocking the kicker with his own holdings so less chance of flopping trips. 23s and 43s are not standard CO 3x opens, while higher connectors are usually.

Weighted strategy means you have combos in both ranges the 3bet and the coldcall. A weighted range can still be linear though! ;)

I think that should give you some ideas on how to strengthen CC-range while still having a strong 3bet range, even a linear one from the blinds.