Overpair VS Weird Line On Paired Board

• Overpair VS Weird Line On Paired Board

Hello guys,

have another hand that i wanted to share with you :)

Playing regular 10NL 6-max anonymous on MG. HERO is UT with Q :club: Q :diamond: .

UT HERO raises to 3BB
      MP folds
      CO calls
      BU folds
      SB folds
      BB folds.

FLOP (7.5BB) : 4 :diamond: J :diamond: J :club: . UT HERO bets 2.5BB, CO raises to 6.5BB, UT HERO calls.
      TURN (20.5BB) : 6 :club: . UT HERO checks, CO checks.
      RIVER (20.5BB) : 5 :club: . UT HERO bets 12BB, CO raises to 36BB, UT HERO calls.

Linecheck?

So yeah, seems pretty weird overall, not sure about my play, particularly river bet/call as even though villain doesn't rep much for value, bluffs make even less sense, so would want a linecheck of course, but also have a few specific questions:

1) Since both players will have similar amount of Jx, yet my UT range does have overpairs too, i suppose my range is stronger than COs on the flop, yet not sure about my size - going polar doesn't seem too attractive, therefore decided to go for a 'range' bet, any comments whether i'm right or wrong?
      2) Once the hand goes the way it did (i'm not folding to the small flop raise, turn check back caps COs range) on the river i do have a valuebet, don't i? Don't expect villain to bluff, so in check/call line i feel i'll be losing more than i'd win, while if it goes x/x i'll just leave money on the table...?

Thank you for responses :)
    • Flop 1/3 is fine, but it's more standard to just check OOP there.

Small flop raise from him is quite suspicious of a cheap bluff or 88 type hand, but I don't think you can do anything but call.

When he checks back turn it's clearly a bluff that's given up or some 77-TT type hand.

River, you need to get value from those 77-TT hands. I like 60% pot size bet.

When he raises river it's quite the situation. Maybe 55? Maybe 87s? Has to be something that hit the river, and most clubs barrel turn when they improve to the FD. So doesn't represent many strong hands. At the same time, it's a ridiculous spot to pull out a bluff-raise, no one does that! I'd fold it, but I can't blame you for calling. He did do a weird flop raise for sure, we know that much, so maybe he is pulling a crazy one on the river too.
    • lnternet wrote:

Flop 1/3 is fine, but it's more standard to just check OOP there.
      Yeah, range-check seems the most simple way to go, just wondering wouldn't i be missing value overall with my own Jx, yet not many worse hands that i would get 3 streets from anyway and vs last remaining Jx i will get money in the pot anyways, especially with my own QJs, JTs n such - those weakest kickers - don't think i want to go crazy as there's more likely i myself would get beat by better trips.

Yeah, everything up to the river raise looks fine to me too, yet agree that it's really unlikely for a dude to be bluffing again. Got shown 7 :heart: 8 :heart: . Really random hand, if anything would've expected it to barrel turn again after picking up equity (at least more than to check), but the point, as you said, is that a straight up bluff is extremely unlikely, but curiosity got the better of me :D
    • depolarize them. meaning betting only for value and going as thin as possible, as his raising-range will be heavily weighted towards low to zero equity hands, so the EV of your showdownvalue goes up as long as you are not overfolding. By linearizing your range in that way in correlation to the board texture you have an easy time against raises. Against an opponent who is playing a more balanced approach this will most likely results in an overall lesser EV, but against a player who is just raising any2 when sensing weakness from sizing/timing/eagerness to click buttons it is a powerful exploitive strategy to employ.