cold4b BBvBU AA Linecheck

• cold4b BBvBU AA Linecheck

SB: $160.74 (160.7 bb)
      Hero (BB): $288.24 (288.2 bb)
      MP: $104.39 (104.4 bb)
      CO: $202.54 (202.5 bb)
      BTN: $103.14 (103.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with :ac :ah
      MP raises to $3, CO folds, BTN raises to $10.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $24, MP folds, BTN calls $13.50

Flop: ($51.50) :9c :jh :tc (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($51.50) :7h (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $16.14, Hero calls $16.14

River: ($83.78) :9h (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $63 and is all-in, Hero calls $63

Flop isnt't a board where I can cbet my entire range, right? Not sure if I should just bet here for protection. Vs stab I can't fold.
      River card should be good for me. Not sure what villain is trying to rep with his jam? I think 2Pair+ would rip it in on the Turn. Maybe he checked Turn with KQs with a FD or he just hit his BDFD on the river? Also I don't really like having the A :club: , since it should block some of his bluffs. Fold or Call River?
    • chitz wrote:

Not sure if I should just bet here for protection.
      Against what? This is a board where you get almost 0 protection with your hand.

Flop check is good.

Turn just bet. Dont think you are beat very often. He has some pairs + AK/AQ. If he has 2pair+ he just bets flop no? Maybe some T9, but in general I wouldnt expect too many strong hands checking back.

As played mmmh, maybe just jam if the read above applies? But no might be too thin, maybe with AA no blocker. Call good.

On the river, you really want to know his 3b vs MP, call vs 4b and aggression in general. Is 77, 88, QThh/KThh, T9hh, 65hh possible? Is he capable of bluffing off his stack? Does he check back strong hands on the flop?
      Not sure without info, fold seems okay. But I've seen some guys bluffing AK/AQ exactly like that.
    • My few cents, that could maybe induce a further discussion hopefully:

- SPR going to the flop is already just 1.5, could be wrong, but i suppose we should have a good reason not to put the rest in with a value hand;

- Yeah, reads would be useful, but overall what kind of range do we think villain gets to the flop with? Even though on surface this board sucks, but do we really think villain has pockets down to 88 or something? Is he 3betting BUvMP that wide? I would think JJ 100%, TT - around 50% (just a rough guess, correct me if you think i'm off) and worse pockets are flatting MPs open in the first place most of the time IMO;

- If anything, i could actually see villain playing QQ-AA this way (start betting the turn after second check from you);

Looking forward to hear others' thoughts :)
    • motiejus wrote:

- SPR going to the flop is already just 1.5, could be wrong, but i suppose we should have a good reason not to put the rest in with a value hand;
      Why is that a reason not to bet? Cant follow.

motiejus wrote:

- Yeah, reads would be useful, but overall what kind of range do we think villain gets to the flop with? Even though on surface this board sucks, but do we really think villain has pockets down to 88 or something? Is he 3betting BUvMP that wide? I would think JJ 100%, TT - around 50% (just a rough guess, correct me if you think i'm off) and worse pockets are flatting MPs open in the first place most of the time IMO;
      Very opponent depended. I can see all of the mentioned hands played like that by some villains, some have just exclusively QQ-TT and AQs (and some AK).

motiejus wrote:

- If anything, i could actually see villain playing QQ-AA this way (start betting the turn after second check from you);
      AA yes, KK maybe, QQ possibly too loose as cold 4b vs MP is very tight.
    • chief wrote:

Why is that a reason not to bet? Cant follow.
      No no no, i was implying that in general with such SPR (1.5) we are getting the rest of the stack in (@ 100BB deep like hero is here) pretty much ALWAYS, unless it's indeed a totally terrible board for our range/hand and subsequently a board that smacks villain's perceived range extremely hard.

But wasn't advocating for no bets, in fact was just trying to say that we should have a good reason NOT to bet / look to get to showdown with as little money being put in as possible post-flop.
    • motiejus wrote:

As chief already said, I think thats highly dependent on villain. some people 3bet very wide and flat less vs MP. So I wouldn't fully discount smaller pockets or small suited connectors.

chief wrote:

Turn just bet. Dont think you are beat very often. He has some pairs + AK/AQ. If he has 2pair+ he just bets flop no? Maybe some T9, but in general I wouldnt expect too many strong hands checking back.
      Are you going to get it in here on safe river?

If we think that villain almost never checks flop with a strong hand, wouldn't it be better to just try to let him bluff with his air-heavy range?
    • chitz wrote:

wouldn't it be better to just try to let him bluff with his air-heavy range?
      Regardless of what particular strategy villain is employing preflop (to 3bet BUvMP wide or not) i actually don't see how he can have air on this board....

Maybe a few combos of 65s, other than that i'm pretty skeptical AQo even is there to begin with, while overall AQ/AK is decently blocked by HERO's hand. EDIT : though, AK seems like the best candidate for villain to turn into a bluff - blocks HERO's KK-AA, has pretty much least showdown value given that his range on the flop constists of either pockets or flopped pairs+
    • I'm not sure what's best on the flop

If his range is wide, like suited connectors and AQo, direct jam is reasonable. It's best against hands like pair + straight draw and AQ, FD stuff.

If his range is tight, like mostly KK-TT with a few AQs, AK, 76s in the mix, jamming is bad, and you might not even have a value bet, so 1/3 and check are both OK.

I personally would never 1/3 this texture with this SPR, it's just jam or check for me. And I think I'd jam ingame. But checking seems ok.

Turn should be a value bet. Neither player has much of 8x, but after flop checks through he has way more 1pair than hands that beat you. I don't like the check here at all. The amount of hands that could possibly bluff is also very small.. A5s-A2s, 65s.. barely anything.

When he bets turn small I think that looks like QQ AJs QJs type hand to me. Can you raise now? I think I would yeah.

Someone said he might have AQ/AK with this line... well if that's true then check-call turn is fine, cause he has a bunch of potential bluffs then where that's best. But to me it's strange, cause AK can just check down and AQ can rather bluff flop already.

Anyway, river is annoying. I doubt he jams QQ there for thin value, so I think you only beat bluffs. As I said on the turn, I don't see many bluffs. Some of them also flushed now (although Ah with us, so just 65 or 54 actually). I think that's a fold now given lack of bluffs while random nut hands are surely more plentiful.