TP In 3BP Flop Decision

• TP In 3BP Flop Decision

Hello guys,

have another hand that i wanted to share with you :)

Playing regular 50NL 6-max on microgaming, 5-handed, anonymous. HERO is SB with 7 :spade: 8 :spade: , 113BBs effective.

MP folds
      CO raises to 3BB
      BU folds
      SB HERO raises to 9BB
      BB folds
      CO calls.

FLOP (19BB) : 4 :club: 7 :diamond: 6 :club: . SB HERO bets 6BB, CO raises to 18BB, HERO...???

Linecheck??? What do we do, facing this raise from CO? The hand is pretty vulnerable so i would be inclined to protect it, but would 3betting the flop make sense here? It probably is risky in a sense that it might just run into the stronger hand (88+) vs which HEROs hand does have equity regardless, but it might be too thin to put the 3bet on the flop for thin value/protection. Hand itself looks too strong to fold to a single raise of a 1/3 cbet (TP+2nd nut gutshot), though most turns will be bad for our hand, so plan to call and look to fold turn unimproved, if facing a bet is not very attractive either... What do you guys think?Thank you for responses! :)
    • SBvCO just 3betting 9bb is imo a bit small, it's fine if you know what you are doing but I prefer to go bigger.

Flop cbetting is ok. Facing a raise sucks, but you can't fold here without a read. I don't think you are strong enough to 3b since villain should raise with vulnerable overpairs like 88-JJ. With GS it should be an easy call.
      I think on many turns you still gotta call another bet, depending on size ofc.
    • Table anonymous, so very hard to develop any kind of a read in this environment.

chitz wrote:

SBvCO just 3betting 9bb is imo a bit small, it's fine if you know what you are doing but I prefer to go bigger
      Checked my preflop ranges afterwards and realized i have my hand as a fold, but it's close, so probably not a fatal mistake. As for size, well yeah, i suppose OOP prefer to go 3>9.5/10, though if it's a matter of 0.5-1BB on top, prob not critical either. As for knowing what to do, no idea.... :D

chitz wrote:

I think on many turns you still gotta call another bet, depending on size ofc.
      The problem i see here is that if i call the flop raise, the pot going to the turn would already be 55BB with 86BB back (1.5 SPR), so there's no room to call another bet on the turn and not be committed to the pot - even if villain bets just 1/3 on the turn (which i don't expect, rather a bigger size bet) it would be around 18BB, which makes the pot about 91BB after the turn betting round with 68BB back, though as i said, small bet doesn't make much sense at this point IMO, so i would expect CO to continue bigger and so this would mostly put us in weird bluffcatching spot on the river where we would be getting around 25-28% pot odds and on blank runouts (though the board will most likely run out with overcards, which our hand hates to see, that's why i was exploring the flop 3bet option) we can probably assign villain at least clubs as potential bluffs at that point...

I guess sometimes there's not much we can do and we're just taking it street by street, looking what's best in that very moment, but just want to make sure that from all the possible options prior, we would be taking the optimal one and deal with consequences later :)

Thank you!
    • motiejus wrote:

The problem i see here is that if i call the flop raise, the pot going to the turn would already be 55BB with 86BB back (1.5 SPR), so there's no room to call another bet on the turn and not be committed to the pot - even if villain bets just 1/3 on the turn (which i don't expect, rather a bigger size bet) it would be around 18BB, which makes the pot about 91BB after the turn betting round with 68BB back, though as i said, small bet doesn't make much sense at this point IMO, so i would expect CO to continue bigger and so this would mostly put us in weird bluffcatching spot on the river where we would be getting around 25-28% pot odds and on blank runouts (though the board will most likely run out with overcards, which our hand hates to see, that's why i was exploring the flop 3bet option) we can probably assign villain at least clubs as potential bluffs at that point...

I guess sometimes there's not much we can do and we're just taking it street by street, looking what's best in that very moment, but just want to make sure that from all the possible options prior, we would be taking the optimal one and deal with consequences later :)

Thank you!
      Do you expect villain to go crazy on Turn and River with all Overpairs in your range? I think Turn will often just go x/x.
      You can still call a Turn bet and fold to River bet. As you said, just go street by street. Overfolding Flop/Turn, just because you would get into an awkward spot later is clearly a mistake.