SPR. Pocket Pair Facing Aggression

• SPR. Pocket Pair Facing Aggression

Hello guys,

have another hand that i wanted to share with you :)

Playing regular 20NL 6-max on microgaming, anonymous, 3-handed (table was just about to break, pretty sure it was my last hand, before sitting out before BB). HERO is BU with T :spade: T :diamond: , 107BBs effective. Both SB+BB we're most likely regs.

BU HERO raises to 2.5BB
      SB folds
      BB calls.

FLOP (5.5BB) : 3 :heart: 8 :heart: 5 :diamond: . BB checks, BU HERO bets 4BB, BB raises to 12.25BB, BU HERO calls.
      TURN (30BB) : J :spade: . BB bets 21BB, BU HERO...???

Linecheck???

Pre - STD.

Flop - clear value bet, went with bigger size because apart from all the possible draws (FDs, open-enders, gutshots) we don't want to see overcards either so a lot to get value/protect against. Vs x/r - villain should have only sets and some 2P combos, but unlimited amount of weaker hands to x/r, so maybe this is a spot where we could 3bet flop with a plan to jam safe turns???

Turn - do we still want to continue and what's our plan for the river, in case we do?

Thank you for responses! :)
    • Whats your Range Assumptions? construct passiv defend Range and x/r Range. Whats his strongest unmade hands? Looks like he got all Sets, maybe discount some 88 combos. But he got alot of A2h A4h A2suited A4suited. 64s 76s AXsheart stuff.

Maybe you construct a Range a x/r Range with only Sets and strong Draws and look how u run against that, its unusual that he Raise K8 A8 Type of Hands for that Limit.

So i guess its rly villian dependent. You got no Safe Turns, 2 can be bad 4 can be bad 6,7,9 all bad heart is bad also, so whats a good or a Safe Turn for your Hand?
    • yeah.rocketscience wrote:

Whats your Range Assumptions? construct passiv defend Range and x/r Range. Whats his strongest unmade hands? Looks like he got all Sets, maybe discount some 88 combos. But he got alot of A2h A4h A2suited A4suited. 64s 76s AXsheart stuff.

Maybe you construct a Range a x/r Range with only Sets and strong Draws and look how u run against that, its unusual that he Raise K8 A8 Type of Hands for that Limit.

So i guess its rly villian dependent. You got no Safe Turns, 2 can be bad 4 can be bad 6,7,9 all bad heart is bad also, so whats a good or a Safe Turn for your Hand?
      1) range assumptions - starting with a flop x/r range as worst case scenario - i have 88 as pure 3bet from BB vs 2x and 2.5x BU RFI, so it's not in the range, 83s also folds vs BU 2.5x RFI, so it's just 33, 55, 85s and 35s as better than TT. Vs that range we already 15.4% equity and that's absolutely worst case (vs flop x/r we need 27.5%). On the other hand this is a board that i can see villain x/r pretty much anything, considering how many candidates he can select from :
      - SDs / gutshots - 42s/64s/74s/76/96s/97s ;
      - FDs - any hearts combo can x/r - some, because it's drawing to the nuts (A high), some because it has no SDV, some because it has a straight-draw of some sort to go along with, so huge equity vs continuing range anyways...
      - Air / other hands / TPs x/r for thin value/protection - considering how few value combos there are comparing it with all potential bluff combos, i don't see a reason for BB to look for any kind of un-natural x/r bluffs like 2 overs etc. TP hands could maybe x/r, but i'm not sure it's a high % raise at all, considering big cbet size and even if it did x/r flop, it certainly is not barreling this turn for 2/3 again, so i'd mostly discount those. Considering all that i'd say if anything, villain would OVER bluff, but we would certainly have enough equity to continue the flop and if anything, i would've again question is 3betting in fact not the best option.

2) Strongest unmade hands - you mean, hands that are yet unmade, but have the most equity? Those of course would be FDs with something to go along with it (pair+FD/FD+openender/FD+gutshot) - A :heart: 2 :heart: / A :heart: 4 :heart: / A :heart: 5 :heart: / K :heart: 5 :heart: / 4 :heart: 2 :heart: / 4 :heart: 6 :heart: / 6 :heart: 7 :heart: / 9 :heart: 6 :heart: / 9 :heart: 7 :heart: - that's about it. Those hands in itself have decent equity vs anything that BU HERO would hold (unless it's a rare situation where say BBs 6 :heart: 7 :heart: is dominated by BUs A :heart: 9 :heart: , then BB if fked), so it's not really a bluff x/r on the flop, rather semi, BUT those hands wouldn't mind GII on the flop while their equity is still high, on the other hand, if they always x/r flop and always barrel even turns that they miss, BU by jamming the turn would completely destroy those hands' EV and so that's again one of the options i would be considering highly, because as we established - considering whole BB range, nutted hands make up just so small portion of that range (total of 10 combos).

3) Villain dependent - well yeah, but it's hard to develop reads on anon-tables :) so my main focus would be to have a decent default strat vs supposed regular players (and i see people from as high as 100NL coming to sit on as low as 10NL tables on microgaming) and adjust only to the most blatant/obvious mistakes i could see ingame, in case the guy turns out to be a fish.

4) What's a good / safe turn for my hand - actually have two questions for you @yeah.rocketscience considering this statement :)

a) are you implying that it's just a bet / fold on the flop?
      c) what are actually bad turn cards for my RANGE ?

rigged31 wrote:

Maybe he knows you are going to sit Out next BB and tries a Play Here. He is maybe thinlking you might fold light and GG and open better table.
      That's actually a good observation, i just don't think that i would be giving it too much weight, because he might or he might not be doing stuff and i just wouldn't want to level myself into making a wrong decision, but instead be relying on the theoretically correct baseline, because even if villain is doing "stuff", that's still in the realms of this game - it's not like villain is making a play with a SUDOKU card, he might be x/r bluffing more than it would be optimal, but that might mean i'd be exploited for just a little bit of EV, while if i go crazy leveling myself, i can make a really -EV plays while villain is just playing his hand/range. But again - ty for noticing :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by motiejus ().

• Solver solution(s) :

Gave solver my STD pre-flop ranges, with BB not flatting 100% of A2o-A4o to have 25% of weakest SCs as calls, as normally all of them are 3bet in my ranges, so just to have some more board coverage to work with still.

On the initial solve i gave BU 3 sizings (33%, 72% and 125%) of which 33% was used by far the least, so will be posting results with 72%/125%/check BU flop play (and further). BB starts the flop with a forced check.

BU plays mixed strat on the flop anyways - 72% cbet - 29.2% / 125% cbet - 29% / check - 41.8%. TT - pure cbet with choosing either size half of the time.

Facing 72% cbet from BU, BB responds with such strategy (x/r - 10.8% / x/c - 41.3% / x/f - 47.9%) :

After that, BU indeed does have a 3betting range, which consists of bluffs and mixed freq of 99+. TT is also chosen as a 3bet or call.

As played, on turn BB continues with 2/3 size 33% of the time, checking the rest, while for BU, TT (what is left of it) is a pure call...