Flopped straight on monotone board

• Flopped straight on monotone board

IPoker, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $100 (100 bb)
      BB: $155 (155 bb)
      CO: $364.46 (364.5 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $145.35 (145.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 7
      CO folds, Hero raises to $2, SB folds, BB raises to $6, Hero calls $4

Flop: ($12.50) 8 5 6 (2 players)
      BB bets $11, Hero calls $11

Turn: ($34.50) Q (2 players)
      BB bets $28, Hero calls $28

River: ($90.50) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $63.35, BB raises to $110 and is all-in, Hero calls $37.00 and is all-in

When villain raised the river I knew I was toast....... but called anyway. Intrigued as to whether he had a flush or a boat.

How does the board pair on the river affect our strategy?
      If a fourth spade rolls off, with which hands can we continue?
    • Hey czar,

He almost pot bets flop which is a play that I like as he can fold you from stronger hands a lot often then donking 1/2 or 2/3 pot which keeps your range more elastic.

I think that for value he pot bets all sets, 2 pairs and nut flushes with 2nd nut flushes also. I think for bluff he uses this with NUT FD and some OESDs. So his range is very strong in my opinion here, don't expect to see random overs that are not strong FD ever there.
      Turn Qd didn't change anything on the texture except that he is not afraid of it at all. When he bets big again I would not expect any bluffs just flushes 2 pairs and sets nothing else so I would just call.
      River 5 repeats when he checks I would always 100% of time check here. Your hand doesn't have enough value to value bet river, it is too thin. He has to be playing 99 TT JJ this way for you to under bet river and get payed of by such when you have a straight , same for 2 pairs. So I would check behind here and bet only nuts and 2nd nut flushes and FHs.
      If forth spade rolls off his bluffing range improved and you should continue with nut flushes and expect 0 bluffs in his range. Some people might not think this is the case and tell you to continue with sets also to outdraw your opponent (cause you have 20% turn to river with sets) but I think it is too thin and in reality turn you will see 0 bluffing frequency for sets to continue (it is burning money long run + opponent when another card repeats he will be bet folding rivers or x/c only expecting you to have FHs or Quads there).

Hope that was clear and that it helps somewhat :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by ivicailiev77 ().

• River sizing is a bit nonstandard. Just jam or check, don't use that sizing.

97 is a check if he is solid nitty. But I would suspect you get more calls from :as :ax and similar than you get slowplay river checks from QQ or so, and a value jam looks nice.

When he raises river from 60 to 110.. that's pretty meh. Probably just nuts and you should fold. But he may think you jam your strong hands, so this size is likely thin value or a bluff, and he does a "crazy" minraise allin bluff against it..