Hello, PokerMarket! Ricardo "preTu.ras" Silva in the house!

• Hello, PokerMarket! Ricardo "preTu.ras" Silva in the house!

Hi there! My name is Ricardo Silva, also known as “preTu.ras” on PokerStars.

I recently got contacted by the PokerMarket guys for a possible cooperation. They found out about me through my Twitch channel, twitch.tv/preturas. I have been playing poker professionally since 2014, and I’ve had decent success throughout all the stakes I played, starting from LowStakes MTTs and now on the MidStakes and HighStakes MTTs. I started streaming my sessions on Twitch in February, and I can’t stress enough how doing that has helped my game and, consequently, my results. So, if you wanna discuss some strategy and sweat my action - with some giveaways from time to time - give me a follow on twitch.tv/preturas.

Another great thing about streaming is that I was able to get this opportunity to reach out to more people, so that grinding and studying the awesome game of tournament poker doesn’t become a lonely experience.

And this is the goal of this first post: to introduce myself to the PokerMarket community and start getting to know more of you. So here we go! I will start off with answers to the questions I usually get asked on the stream and then show some graphs.

- Who are you?

Ricardo Silva, Brazilian, 24 years old. I have a degree in Control and Automation Engineering from the University of Brasilia. Been playing poker professionally since 2014, focused solely on MTTs.

I play on PokerStars as preTu.ras and on Full Tilt Poker as Ricardo Augusto.

- How did you start playing poker?

I started playing for fun with friends during my Engineering course. Then I started playing freerolls online and built it up from there. I never made any deposits, so this is basically all a freeroll for me. Hahaha.

No, seriously now. Starting from scratch and being able to play the game I love for a living wasn’t easy. It took and still takes a lot of hard work and I’m really glad to be able to share the journey with you.

OK. Now let’s see some graphs:

- PokerStars graph (started playing professionally around game number 9000):

- Full Tilt Poker graph (way less volume because their schedule sucks):

- PocketFives profile: pocketfives.com/profiles/pretu-ras/

I think that pretty much sums up everything about me related to poker. Another thing I think I should mention is that I’m putting a big amount of hours into grinding and improving my game right now, because I’m going for Supernova on PokerStars this year for the first time in my life. And, of course, I’ll stream all my sessions on Twitch.

My intention is to also make a monthly vlog on YouTube, recapping my results and to talk about how that given month went. I will post the videos here.

That’s it, guys. Thanks for reading and don’t forget to check out twitch.tv/preturas! Give me a follow there and on Twitter (@preTu_ras), if you want to know when I'm streaming. See you later!
    • Hey guys! Just recorded my first vlog, talking about my July results. Check it out!

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I should be talking about? What about discussing strategy? Do you think the vlog is the right platform for that?

I would like to know what you think about the deal I talked about, in The Big $162 Final Table. Here are the details:

- Table seating, stack sizes and original payouts:

ICM
      Chip Chop
      My requested deal
      Yarpiz
      $13920
      $15844
      $15844
      KingAlikMJ23
      $10588
      $9951
      $9551
      skitzo333
      $10536
      $9895
      $9595
      preTu.ras
      $10210
      $9564
      $10264

You can see that the other short stacks are tagged in green (exploitable) and in purple (fun player), so I definitely had an edge on them. Heck, one of them was playing from a mobile! lol. Also, I was to the left of the chip leader, which gives me a huge advantage over the other shorties.
      To be honest, I wasn't really happy making a deal with worse players than me, but variance is a bitch and Yarpiz was killing us, so I think ICM is fair for me in this situation. What do you guys think?

Looking forward to getting some feedback in my decision here. Thank you!
    • August recap

Hey, guys. How are you doing?

I am doing fine, despite playing almost no poker for the past few days. As you probably know if you follow my Twitch stream regularly, the month of August was brutal for me. It had a very exciting start, with the possibility of a Triple Crown after I won tournaments on FullTilt Poker and on PokerStars, but things started to turn south very quickly.

Eventually, it became the biggest “downswing”of my career. I will explain the inverted commas in a bit. Before I go into more details about this, I want to talk about something else first. This is the second year I’m playing poker professionally and, coincidentally or not, I had the same problem last year during the month of August. The difference from this year to last year is that I learned the lesson and now I am much more aware of tournament poker’s nature and variance.

I hate losing. Period. I guess this “quality” of mine has its pros and cons, when it comes to poker. Pro: I will work my ass off to try to become the best poker player I can be, putting as much time and effort as I possibly can towards achieving that goal. Con: poker is a long term game, which makes it really painful when variance turns against you.

Before you start thinking that I’m simply blaming variance for my bad results, I want to show you that I’m not. I have had an amazing career so far, especially in 2015. I have been able to play thegame I love for a living. I got to travel to Europe, stay in a 5 star hotel and play tournament poker against the best in the world spending close to nothing and actually turning a profit. I won a TCOOP title this year (variance doesn’tget any bigger than that, honestly). Please notice that I’m not bragging here. I’m simply trying to point out that I am one of the luckiest people in the world, and I know it. Variance has been my friend since the day I was born, basically.

And this is the lesson that I learned when this dark time of the year came around in 2014. I have so much to be thankful for, and a lot of it is due to variance actually being on my side. I am not saying that you should just rely on chance and wait around for your big break. Obviously I worked really hard to become the player I am and get the results I have. However, I have been on the right side of the coin flip way more often than not and I am aware of that.

One of the skills I developed to help me deal with this brutal nature of the game without going broke is bankroll management. I will show you now the August graph, to explain why I used the word downswing in inverted commas.

*I use this graph that I personally update because HM2 messes up the results from rebuy and SKO tournaments

The way bankroll management prevents me from going broke is quite clear in this graph. Notice that the graph declines in a constant slope. Given that I can control my average buy-in, I pretty much have total control over how fast my bankroll declines in worst case scenarios like this.

This is all just fancy/engineer-in-me talk that translates to this: good bankroll management prevents me from going broke due to short term variance. As I pointed out earlier, I hate losing, so it hurts me a lot when I look at this graph. But I also said that I will work my ass off to become the best player I can be in the long run. Of course I made mistakes this month, but my game didn’t change that much from the beginning of the month, when I was up almost $9k. Also, given the levels I was playing, this type of loss is completely standard.

Now that all that is clear, what exactly am I doing to overcome this situation?

The answer is: taking a little break and studying a lot. Besides the work in the lab, I am also taking care of some other things, like setting up my new computer, spending some time with my family and girlfriend, playing a lot of soccer… This will probably hurt my Supernova goal, but I’d rather enjoy myself while playing poker and being completely focused on making the right decisions than getting Supernova by not playing my A game (and probably losing more money than Supernova is worth). If not this year, there’s always next year for Supernova.

Alright. That’s enough about variance. I guess most of the people that are reading this already know all that. Now let’s take a look at some data.

- Final tables:

Cashes: around $50k
      Profit/loss: - $10926 + rakeback = around -$10k
      VPPs this month: 17961
      Yearly VPPs: 55899
      Days played: 20/31
      Hours played: 154
      Tournaments: around 600
      Hands: around 53k
      bb/100: 1.83
      EV bb/100: 6.00
      ITM: 16.6%
      Final Tables: 19
      Wins: $100 T-Rex (deal heads-up), $55+R &$109 [Turbo, 1R1A] twice
      Biggest cash: $6557
      Evaluation: 5/10

To summarize, I am going to list the mistakes I think I make regarding my mental game, my tournament selection (session management) and my stream, followed by the solutions I will apply in order to try to solve them.

Problem 1: I am not coping well with normal variance in highstakes tournaments.
      Solution: I will reduce my average buy-in and the number of tables I play simultaneously. I plan on playing tournaments with buy-ins up to $109 and $20r, with 8-10 simultaneous table tops. This will probably mean that I won’t make Supernova this year (unless I bink some big result), but at least I will have a good starting game plan for making it next year right at the start of 2016.

Problem 2: I am complaining too much about variance, on and off stream. I am letting emotions take over when I am losing, which is making me not enjoy life as much as I should.
      Solution: I will start meditating more often. I started to do it a couple of weeks ago, but I haven’t had the progress I was looking for yet. The bitching pot (check out the stream to know what this is) was a very good start, but I have to do more if I want to kill this problem once and for all.

Problem 3: Not studying enough.
      Solution: I will stop being so lazy and finding time to actually get in the lab and improving my game more effectively. During this break, I have already regained a lot of focus in this area and started to find a couple of leaks in my game. I just have to keep putting in the hours and working on them more often.

Problem 4: My stream can be better overall.
      Solution: I will put more effort into creating more good content for the viewers. I have a couple of ideas that I have been putting off for a while. It’s time to invest more into that, since the stream has definitely helped me have a lot more fun during the grinding sessions.

I believe that writing about this is a very good way of motivating myself to actually start doing all these things that need to be done. So let’s stop complaining and get to work!

To wrap it up, I want to thank all of my followers for all the love and support. I really appreciate it, guys. #VamoPreturas

Ricardo Silva

twitch.tv/preturas
      PokerStars: preTu.ras
      Full Tilt Poker: Ricardo Augusto
      888 poker: preTu.ras