Mindset: Ask Me Anything

    • Mindset: Ask Me Anything

      Hi guys,

      I had a similar thread in the German part of the forum and was told it would be nice if I opened one here as well.

      I am a psychologist and have an interest in performance psychology in areas such as sports and poker. I created a mindset coaching program which spans across a few weeks and have good results with it.
      In that program I work with meditation (among other things). Soon I will fly to the US to write my master's thesis on the effects of meditation on emotional reactivity and emotion regulation, so I have both an applied and a scientific interest in the topic.

      Shoot me all your questions, I'm looking forward to them.

      Edit: I also play poker, mainly PLO100 and PLO200 and the occassional PLO tournament.
    • Nice man !

      Going to try to read the german topic and then ask some stuff here :)

      Ok Just read the german thread with some help from our friend Google Translate and see a correlation between sports psyhology and the mindfulness.

      My question would be: How important/good for improvement do you think it is to keep a journal of your sessions ?! I think a lot of sports guy review matches (which would be equal to review HH or post in forums). Not sure would would be the best approach to get that to Poker to achieve better results consistently (By better results I mean better perfomance).

      The post was edited 1 time, last by razios ().

    • razios wrote:

      Nice man !

      Going to try to read the german topic and then ask some stuff here :)

      Ok Just read the german thread with some help from our friend Google Translate and see a correlation between sports psyhology and the mindfulness.

      My question would be: How important/good for improvement do you think it is to keep a journal of your sessions ?! I think a lot of sports guy review matches (which would be equal to review HH or post in forums). Not sure would would be the best approach to get that to Poker to achieve better results consistently (By better results I mean better perfomance).
      Thanks! Good to get going...
      What exactly do you mean with keeping a journal? In regards to poker theory or mindset? You mention HH review and forum posts, and I think they are an essential part of improving as a player. But I think it's not posting a hand itself which improves your game, but rather thinking for yourself which makes the difference. Posting a hand without any of your own thoughts and just reading the thoughts of others won't be as beneficial. Instead write down your train of thought, then others will also be more inclined to post their opinion on your thought process and point out false logic and other problems.
    • krach-bumm-ente wrote:

      razios wrote:

      Nice man !

      Going to try to read the german topic and then ask some stuff here :)

      Ok Just read the german thread with some help from our friend Google Translate and see a correlation between sports psyhology and the mindfulness.

      My question would be: How important/good for improvement do you think it is to keep a journal of your sessions ?! I think a lot of sports guy review matches (which would be equal to review HH or post in forums). Not sure would would be the best approach to get that to Poker to achieve better results consistently (By better results I mean better perfomance).
      Thanks! Good to get going...What exactly do you mean with keeping a journal? In regards to poker theory or mindset? You mention HH review and forum posts, and I think they are an essential part of improving as a player. But I think it's not posting a hand itself which improves your game, but rather thinking for yourself which makes the difference. Posting a hand without any of your own thoughts and just reading the thoughts of others won't be as beneficial. Instead write down your train of thought, then others will also be more inclined to post their opinion on your thought process and point out false logic and other problems.
      Would be more about keep a journal/diary about mindset. Stuff like, how did you thought during the session? what were good attitudes? which are bad? is there something that influenced your session ?

      I did this during 1 month and found it to be very hard work and I didn´t get too much out of it. (I was doing this with a pshycologist but he kind of have other priorities). Do you ever work with something like that ?
    • The only reason I see for keeping such a journal is that it teaches you to reflect on yourself. Other than that, I don't think you will get too much out of it. Actually I think that some of the things you wrote about can even be counterproductive, such as judging good and bad attitudes. In a conventional psychology coaching this might be a reasonable part of the whole, but I think it causes more harm than it does good. You seem to be a bit familiar with meditation, so you might have heard about equanimity. Equanimity means not judging and categorizing things and situations, but accept everything as is. Good and bad are merely labels in your own head, nothing is ever good or bad by nature. It's only in your head. In my philosophy, it's not about trying to get more "good" and avoid "bad" things, but to stop labeling alltogether. This gets you out of the "good and bad" thinking style and beyond labels, which never reflect the true reality. Then you are not moved by them anymore and can act without being influenced by circumstance, good and bad. Hope this make sense :)
    • Hi KBE,

      great to find a similar thread to your german one here. I started meditation some weeks ago and since then, I almost always do it 2 times a day for 15-20 minutes. My first session in the morning, right after waking up and a second one mostly somewhere between 20-22 o'clock. My problem is, in the second session in happens quite often that I fall asleep. 2-3 times just for a few seconds, but I guess that's not the way it should be? :) any ideas how to overcome this?
    • sleeper1979 wrote:

      Hi KBE,

      great to find a similar thread to your german one here. I started meditation some weeks ago and since then, I almost always do it 2 times a day for 15-20 minutes. My first session in the morning, right after waking up and a second one mostly somewhere between 20-22 o'clock. My problem is, in the second session in happens quite often that I fall asleep. 2-3 times just for a few seconds, but I guess that's not the way it should be? :) any ideas how to overcome this?
      Hi sleeper, so your name is your problem ;) There are three points of view from which I want to answer that question. Firstly, Meditation can be described as an invitation to fall awake, rather than asleep. It means you are completely present and aware of what's going on. Falling asleep means losing that awareness, so meditation is some kind of antithesis to sleep. If you fall asleep, you give up awareness. Try to find the moment when this happens and don't allow it to.
      Secondly, I assume you meditate lying down in your bed if falling asleep is a problem. Try to meditate sitting up straight, with a posture that shows dignitity, an erect spine. You can sit on the floor and use a cushion, for example. I think that mighthelp.
      Thirdly, if you happen to fall asleep, try not to consider it a problem. It happened, so be it. Move on. I know from my own experience that sometimes it's extremely hard to stay awake, and it doesn't mean you are a failure if it happens. In Thailand I woke up daily at 4 AM (no typo, four) to meditate until 5.30, and had to fight spontaneous sleep throughout. If it happens, don't judge yourself. Be equanimous.

      flow wrote:

      why do you fly to the US to write your thesis?
      Because my advisor there is a leading expert in meditation research. She even presented her work to the Dalai Lama, who is a fan of neuroscience on meditation. There I can work with data from a huge study which is invaluable.
    • First of all, thanks for your post!

      krach-bumm-ente wrote:

      Hi sleeper, so your name is your problem
      Actually, my name is kind of misleading. ;) I suffer from sleep disorders for a couple of years now. I don't have trouble to fall asleep, but to sleep through the night. Usually I sleep around 4 to 5 hours, in good nights maybe 6, but I got used to it. Maybe that could be one of the reasons I struggle whith meditating in the evening?

      krach-bumm-ente wrote:

      Secondly, I assume you meditate lying down in your bed if falling asleep is a problem.
      I tried that the first week, but I hardly got through the first 5 minutes without drifting away and fall asleep. :) Since then I always use a chair, which helps a lot but not always. But it is good to know, that I don't "fail" if it happens. I guess it could be a lack of experience too and getting better with more practise?

      What do you think about using some relaxing sounds to meditate? Especially for a beginner like me? I experimented a bit with different music/sounds, but it didn't feel different to me with or without music.