Behind closed doors...Without plan B

• Behind closed doors...Without plan B

I made $50k last year playing part time supplementing university, but this will be my first full year playing and i'm ready to make a mark.

This year i have no other plans accept to do everything in my power to crush online poker. If that means working 10-15 hours a day behind closed doors to begin to make that a reality, that's what i'll do.

The vision for 2016
      I want to be one of the better regulars in the 1kNL games. When i'm playing 600NL and below i want to be the best regular on the site.

The process
      I'll be studying everyday, tirelessly.
      - Answer HH posts.
      - HH review w others.
      - Post Hand Histories
      - Analyse exploits vs each individual regular.
      - Receive consistent coaching.
      - Continue developing my game theory and math. (vague goal, i know)

I'll also need to work on my mental game, I'll probably begin developing my knowledge on this through books. I've had a mental game coach in the past and whilst i thought he was good at what he did, i didn't manage to take enough from it to make it worth while. Why? Idk, i tried to, but i was pretty vague on telling him what i needed to work on and inconsistent with my improvements. I certainly wasn't lazy with it, more disorganized.

This year i'll begin to rectify last years mistakes, and continue to improve on last years successes.

Lets do it!

The post was edited 2 times, last by bigblindbets ().

• google wrote:

vamos!

3betjunkie wrote:

Good Luck!!

undisturbed wrote:

Hi :) Also in!

Given your solid results for last year and previous high quality blog, it will be interesting to see what happens here.

Peace!
      Thanks! :) I appreciate the support a lot.

I've nearly finished my new upgrade to the setup this month.

So a recap of the 2015 setup history and the update to the 2016 setup is in order!
      History 2015:
      Display Spoiler

The setup moves from a 17inch laptop to a real monitor, we buy a whiteboard to stay a little more organized.

The second screen gets added

The setup moves from the "study" to the bedroom to have a little more space, light and air

The screens finally get rotated for easier viewing when i realize i actually have enough space to have them horizontal in the new room.

The new chair arrives

The setup gets its first power upgrade. The laptop is replaced for a new custom build computer

• aaannnndd the new setup for the 2016 grind:

Upsides
      Loads more functional space to work.
      Screens are further away from me and at a better viewing angle.
      Keyboard at correct level a distance from seat to sit reasonably ergonomically

Downsides
      No storage drawers.
      Would be handy if the room was a little larger so two people could work more comfortably beside each other if it were needed.

----

I'm in the process of fixing the problem of no storage now. Since there was nobody wanting my old computer desk i thought i'd recycle the parts i needed and throw out the rest.

Only took about an hour of my time, should have been less but i had to cut off the legs at the bottom so it would fit under my new desk. Certainly not the perfect storage solution but it's working well for now :)

The post was edited 3 times, last by bigblindbets ().

• Enjoying every session a little more each day.
      First 4 and a half hours of playing today my game was flowing. I could feel my edge on every table i was playing and i was playing thoughtfully and instinctively. Around 5 hours in i started to become impatient and frustrated. At this point it's time to breath deeply and attempt to refocus, that eased the agitation for 5 minutes or so but then it came back. Next step: it's time to finish the session. Since table's were pretty good i didn't stick to this bit of advice, and for around 30 minutes i continued playing, becoming more and more frustrated, being more and more likely to make a mistake, to miss an action, to miss an important detail.

Next time i'm frustrated i'll attempt to close the session down sooner. If a table is too good to leave then i'll allow myself to play up to 4 table's during this time, each must be more profitable than the average table i play, or i will remove it from play.
    • bigblindbets wrote:

aaannnndd the new setup for the 2016 grind:

Upsides
      Loads more functional space to work.
      Screens are further away from me and at a better viewing angle.
      Keyboard at correct level a distance from seat to sit reasonably ergonomically

Downsides
      No storage drawers.
      Would be handy if the room was a little larger so two people could work more comfortably beside each other if it were needed.

----

I'm in the process of fixing the problem of no storage now. Since there was nobody wanting my old computer desk i thought i'd recycle the parts i needed and throw out the rest.

Only took about an hour of my time, should have been less but i had to cut off the legs at the bottom so it would fit under my new desk. Certainly not the perfect storage solution but it's working well for now :)
      may 2016 be with you now! good setup, get this kicked off now!
    • @frustration

I also have experience with this. Feeling frustration grow towards the end of a session, knowing that I should quit but feeling unable to do so because the games are so soft. But what I've found (at least historically) is that frustration can have such a negative effect on my game that it's best to simply quit no matter what. It often leads to some sort of haste and too much intention to win pots, and it also makes is a lot easier to miss important details and to follow incomplete reasoning without considering it more deeply. It makes sloppy calls and light get-ins vs loose fun players much more likely as well (fueled by the frustrated will to stack them). So if frustration grows too strong I just quit, knowing that even though games are very good, the frustration makes them -EV and the best option is quitting. But if your D-game (so to speak) is not as bad and not -EV then I could see why you'd want to stay as long as possible anyway. Being able to dissipate the frustration and/or maintain a solid game in spite of it would of course be ideal, and certainly possible, but until then quitting is probably best.

By the way, would love to see some interesting hand histories from you. :)

Peace!
    • Good morning pokermarket ;)

I've been really developing in my mindset the last few weeks. Enjoyed almost all my poker sessions and i can feel my edge on each table as i play. It's a liberating feeling.

I did have one day i was feeling really unhappy and agitated whilst playing, but i'm glad to say i got myself through that reasonably swiftly and was back enjoying the games again.

Had a few funny hands in the last few days but this one was particularly amusing:

This guy was playing reasonableish, not good, he was still a semi fish taking some weird lines, but playing like 30/19 or so.

Then i called this

$3/$6
      SB: $627 (104.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $781.85 (130.3 bb)
      CO: $909.86 (151.6 bb)
      BTN: $569.56 (94.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7 7
      CO raises to $15, BTN calls $15, SB folds, Hero calls $9

Flop: ($48) 5 8 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($48) 3 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

River: ($48) 3 (3 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks, BTN bets $60, Hero calls $60, CO folds

Results: $168 pot ($4 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 9 3 3
      Hero mucked 7 7 and won $164 ($89 net)
      CO mucked and lost (-$15 net)
      BTN showed J Q and lost (-$75 net)

and the next hand he started betting really quickly and did this

$3/$6

Hero (SB): $870.85 (145.1 bb)
      BB: $894.86 (149.1 bb)
      CO: $494.56 (82.4 bb)
      BTN: $624 (104 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K 6
      CO raises to $12, BTN folds, Hero calls $9, BB calls $6

Flop: ($36) 6 J K (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, CO bets $36, Hero calls $36, BB folds

Turn: ($108) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $108, Hero calls $108

River: ($324) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $338.56 and is all-in, Hero calls $338.56

Results: $1,001.12 pot ($4.00 rake)
      Final Board: 6 J K 3 4
      Hero mucked K 6 and won $997.12 ($502.56 net)
      CO showed 8 9 and lost (-$494.56 net)

Think i tilted him?
    • Interesting day, felt great in my session with my personal trainer, i'm really enjoying the new training program.

Got back to the flat to start up a quick session and 5 minutes later i heard a loud banging coming from the hall, it happens a lot with the communal door so i ignored it. Since we had recently been robbed i did think about checking but was pre-occupied with things in the house.

A few minutes later the banging began again. So i went out to the hall and checked a few of the doors, nothing. Went over to the living room window and looked to see if someone was trying to get in there. No one.

Again i went out to the hall, this time i notice the flat door below my staircase has been kicked in. So i jumped back in my house, grabbed a hammer and phoned the police.

After i phoned i went to the stairway to see if i could identify anyone coming in out, hammer in hand, crapping myself in all honesty!

Anyway, i think the guy must have ran off when he heard my door open the first time - luckily for me and the neighbors he was trying to burgle!

After giving a statement etc to the police, finally got started on my session, but i was a bit distracted and i wasn't really taking in too much.

An hour and a half later i decided to come off. Just after clicking sit out next big blind i turn the nut flush 3 ways on £6/3 with £173 invested. Site disconnects, gg! Perfect players and board for action too, so i probably lost about £400-£500 in ev in that one disconnect unfortunately. :(
    • bigblindbets wrote:

After i phoned i went to the stairway to see if i could identify anyone coming in out, hammer in hand, crapping myself in all honesty!
      I don't think that's a good idea

Have a gun or don't go out. Knife or hammer is difficult to use, you're most likely to hurt yourself. Unless you have some training with it I guess and know how to swipe and where to hit, but who has that :D
    • My basic desire in this game is to learn.

I feel like i am honoring this desire when i:
      #share information with people
      #when i learn a new piece of information
      #when i help others to understand a concept
      #when i follow through with my plans to learn the material's i have listed
      #when i receive coaching and come out of it with more knowledge than when i went in

I feel i am not honoring this goal when i:
      #don't share information with people
      #when i begin to worry about the effect of working with others that are not at my level
      #when i don't follow through with my plan's on material's i want to learn
      #when i don't act on information i believe is beneficial for me to act on
      #when i allow other's to fog my view of the appropriateness of what i am learning
      #when i feel i am repeating work i have already went over many times before
      #when i feel i have not structured my learning material efficiently
      #when i feel i have slept too much and don't have time to learn
      #when i feel i am not being efficient with my time

In order to align myself closer to my desire i will:
      #Not deliberately hide information and keep it secret out of fear of others knowing it.
      #help other's to understand a concept when i understand it.
      #follow through with the areas of learning i have set out for myself.