You can't win, if you're afraid of losing!

• It's soon time for Christmas and the holidays that comes with it. I will not be able to play for three whole weeks during this time though.. since I'll have no access to my computer. I might invest in a laptop next year, to be able to play on the road. However I'll be able to study poker away from the tables. So this is where I'll put in my poker time. Hopefully I can come back stronger at the tables 2016! :D

I'll post another graph in the coming days before I leave, but that will be it for this year.

Happy holidays!
      Osse
    • Hey again guys! I'm leaving in the morning so time for the update! Last one of 2015. With a +15.87bb/100 on the 50nl tables and a -2.65bb/100 at the 100nl tables. Now it's time to study some off the tables during the holidays, and since I have no computer I can get HM2 on, I'll not play anything on the tables. I'll be back early 2016 with new and fresh energy at the tables. I'll make post about my new goals for the next year then and I hope to achive most of them.

Happy holidays :rolleyes:
      Osse
    • undisturbed wrote:

Hi there :)

What kind of stuff will you be studying?

Good luck!
      I have the redline series to study, atleast to start with. After that I don't know right now. Thanks! :thumbsup:

flow wrote:

you are not playing between x-mas and new years eve? those are the best games of the year dude! anyway, really cool updates recently. have a good one!
      Yeah I know the tables are really good now during the holidays. But I have no access to a computer that can run any poker programs. My old laptop almost overheats only by normal website browsing, and I'm not home for three weeks so I can't play on my computer.. So next year I'll invest in new gear. I appreciate the feedback! There will be more updates like this when I'm back and playing next year again. I couldn't play much poker in the beginning of the school semester, but been playing a lot more now during the latter part of the semester. Been really fun to start playing bigger volume! So will be a lot more of that for sure. :=D
    • My vote ís also on playing a few tables without the HUD.

Even though it's a great tool we shouldn't be entirely reliant on it. Our foundation should be a solid default game which we can execute without having information on any of the players. (Ideally that would be the GTO strategy).That's just as, or more, important than being able to adjust based on the HUD. And then from that, we make adjustments based on HUD stats and player reads. If we feel handicapped without the HUD we should probably work on our fundamentals a bit. (I also use a ton of stats and prefer playing with my HUD, but if forced to go without it I would hopefully still do okay).
    • Summer challenge

Hey there! So today (25/5-16) I started my summer challenge! Will update with some graphs here on the first post. The challenge is aimed to be only at Svenska Spel. Enjoy!

Week 1:

OLD STUFF:

Hello and happy new year!

I've decided to make another thread for my blog here on pokermarket. The old thread is getting a little outdated and I feel like a fresh start now for this year. If you haven't read my thread and want a look from last year you can take a look here. If you decide to take a look on the old one you will read about my challenge on the swedish site "svenska spel". I've decided to keep playing on the swedish site for some time this year aswell. So I might aswell just keep doing that challenge. However I have something planned for this summer, but I'll come back to that later. I also have another page that I update from time to time, which you can find here. Before going more into detail about 2016. I'll start of with a quick presentation about myself for any new reader.

I'm Osse and I live in Sweden. Currently 21 years old student with a couple years left at University. I started playing poker late 2013 and I've had my ups and downs. But this year I hope to beat the recent years and set a new standard for my poker. After a nice winter break from school, it's soon time to start again and I'll try to update here once a week.

The total graph of 2015 from the challenge:

My first thing to fix on my list this year will be a new computer. It will be a little more expensive since I decided to upgrade it completely. I'll write a list of the current parts I've picked out for it, if anyone interested want to have a look. In addition to this new monster computer that it will be I'll get a 32" screen to play poker on. After many hours of poker on the 24" screens I own today I have come to the conclusion that 24" is a weird sizing of a screen to play poker on. Because however you try to size the tables it's either too big or too small and you're left with an awkward sizing.

Here is the temporary buy-in list:
      Display Spoiler

Fractal design define R5 titanium

Corsair RM750i, 750W PSU

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980ti 6GB G1 gaming

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

WD desktop black 3TB

HyperX savage DDR4 2666 MHz 16GB

Intel core i7-6700K skylake

ASUS ROG maximux VIII ranger socket-1151

Cooler master hyper 212 EVO

I've had some problems with HM2 on my current computer ever since I had to manually change the drive the hands were stored (because I ran out of SSD space on the main drive). This have led me to just leave all my played hand and start fresh with a new database on the new computer. But I'll post any graph relevant before it's time for the change, but that still means that there will have to me atleast two graphs for my challenge. The temporary date for the purchase is set in early February, which I'm really looking forward too! It's been over 4 years since I bought my old computer.

My next topic will be the poker goals I have for the 2016. Which is pretty standard post for most bloggers. I was way too ambitious and I wasn't able to reach most of them, however this year I have decided to still aim high but set a little lower bars. Which can still be a good thing, since if I reach them I'll be happy and if I go even further it will be an even greater feeling! Most of the goals will mostly be focused to the swedish site.

The current list:
      Display Spoiler

• 250,000 hands played (which is on the low side, want to atleast double this number but school is taking a lot of time)
      • More reviews of my own HM2 database
      • Make atleast 52 blog posts
      • Make +100K (SEK) profit (about $12K USD)
      • Watch/rewatch some training videos (to keep the poker game fresh)
      • Summer challenge (more about this later)

I might edit in some more later on. But if I don't set the bar too high I'll not stress out and I'll be able to relax and play my own game. Everyone wants to be a good successful poker player and earn a lot of money. That's what most people read on a daily basis and they dream away, forgetting that it takes time and dedication to achive anything. If you move too fast for your own personal limit you can end up in a mess, if you do the oposite and move way too slow (not being excited to try new things and take chances) you don't progress and end up doing the same thing over and over. I guess what I want to say is that you need to find a balance between these two, and I think that's the key to success.

Moving on to the last topic of this first post will be about this "summer challenge". It might be a while until it's time for this challenge but I'll just tease you readers a little. After my semester at University there will be around two months free time for me, which opens up a lot of possibilities for poker. So I'll spend the time I usually use for school to play and study poker, which means a big boost in the hours I can put into my own game. This will be really exciting and I can't wait for it. I've put down some ambitious key points below.
      Display Spoiler

• 6-8 hours of daily play (I'll be focusing more into putting the hours in instead of hitting a total hands played number)
      • Daily posts (About how the day went and with a graph included)
      • Weekly post (Every monday, take the time to summarize the week with graphs, 5 played hands and some thoughts about my play)
      As you see this is pretty ambitious so I might change some things. I don't want to end up skipping this challenge completely because I got bored after a week.

This post went a little sideways and ended up as a total wall of text. I hope you still enjoyed reading it (if you got this far :rolleyes: ). I hope all readers manage to reach their new poker and life goals this year. I'll leave this post with the motto I have:

You can't win if you are afraid of losing.

Osse

The post was edited 3 times, last by osse ().

• In! :)

May I ask what you are studying?

What kind of screen were you thinking of getting? Most important thing is of course the resolution. I've used a 30" with 2560x1600 for many years now and it has been good. (Although an extra screen for lobbies wouldn't hurt).

I agree that it's important to find a good balance for goals and such. It's easy to set super grand goals and even intend to make them, but it's much harder to be aware of what you might actually be capable of pulling off, and instead setting reasonable goals with that in mind. And if you set very lofty goals that you're always behind in reaching (and take them seriously), that might hinder your progress also.

Good luck!
    • undisturbed wrote:

In! :)

May I ask what you are studying?

What kind of screen were you thinking of getting? Most important thing is of course the resolution. I've used a 30" with 2560x1600 for many years now and it has been good. (Although an extra screen for lobbies wouldn't hurt).

I agree that it's important to find a good balance for goals and such. It's easy to set super grand goals and even intend to make them, but it's much harder to be aware of what you might actually be capable of pulling off, and instead setting reasonable goals with that in mind. And if you set very lofty goals that you're always behind in reaching (and take them seriously), that might hinder your progress also.

Good luck!
      I think the correct term when I'm done with the education will be Master of Science in Engineering, Engineering Physics. It's a five year long education, I'm also planning on studying abroad a semester somewhere. Maybe US but then I can't play online poker..

I've been looking at the 32" screen from BenQ called BL3200PT. From the reviews I've watched it's a really price worthy screen. The resolution for the screen is 2560x1440.

flow wrote:

Once again, IN!

Maybe you can do some kind of prob betting for your summer challenge?
      Nice idea! I'll check it out for sure. Would be fun with something like that!
    • So I ran pretty bad this week, but I finished the week with one good run session. I'm still at 100nl and I'll be there until my bankroll is 5k. Next week I'll start working on my new computer rig and I'm really excited about that. Next week I'll also have a little more spare time so I'll play more poker, like this week. Depending on how much time I need to put down on fixing my new computer that is. However I got two graphs for you today. One since the start of the challenge and one for this past week.

First one will be for this week.

This one will be the total.

Enjoy!
      Osse
    • Hey pokermarket!

I've had one crazy week.

I had different packages coming from different companies and I had to send away a broken headset. I had to walk like 5-6 times to the delivery point (15 min walk one way). Anyway I got everything home now, except for the headset. I built the computer yesterday and it went smoothly, atleast with the hardware parts. I then installed windows 10 and got problems with the correct drivers from the motherboard. I think I started building the computer around 5pm and was still up trying to fix the software around 1:30 am. I just decided I needed to sleep on it, when I woke up I made a clean windows 10 installation. Fixed the motherboard drivers and got it to work correctly. I still not sure what the first problem was, but something with the motherboard drivers for sure. I had mainly problems with the network. However a few hours later I managed to got everything up and running. So today I've been busy installing pretty much everything I use daily. Still have a lot to install as I write this. Haven't played that much poker this week though.

Here's some pictures:

Not the best quality, but I had to reduce the file size.

University starts again next week, hopefully I'll be able to play enough hands for weekly graphs here.

Osse