You can't win, if you're afraid of losing!

• You can't win, if you're afraid of losing!

Hello there and welcome to my blog!

I hope you enjoy the content I’m writing about and let me know if there is something you want me to write about or explain further. This blog is getting a couple of years on its back now and you will see a lot of outdated content the first couple of pages. I’ll later in this post explain this further and I will make it easy for you and link the current “active” pages.

Alright, now when we have got past that. You might start to wonder “who is this dude?” and well I’m no poker pro, I got into poker back in December 2013 (getting the basics and playing casually tournaments). Moved over to cash game and started to play more regularly in the start of 2014. I’m currently 23 years old and that’s one reason to why I got in so late to this poker world. I can also add that I’m from Sweden.

Time flies fast, and it doesn’t feel like I’ve played for 4 years now. But now you might wonder “how far have I come?”. Right now, I’m playing a challenge on Svenska Spel, I’ve been doing another challenge on that earlier which covered €5nl-€25nl. After that they patched the client and I stopped playing there for a while. I went on playing on a couple of different other sites (during 2017, got back to SvS in August 2017). I’ve taken my journey relatively slow, but very steady, no huge BRM swings, which have resulted in a steady climb (mastered the important BRM knowledge early on). I’ve mostly studied myself during my journey, I was a part of a Skype group back in 2014, that lasted a while but then it quality became quantity and the group filled up with people. A couple of scammers (wops, I lost a bit of money there). Made me leave it, but there is a lot of people that come and go, and you start noticing that after a while. Right now, I mostly manage all my studying and reviewing myself, have been reading up on a couple of poker books but also a lot of psychological books. There is a lot of interesting stuff to read about! I’m not going to go more into detail about my history about the different poker sites and such here, but feel free to leave a comment later and I’ll make a more detailed answer to your question!

I’m currently rolled for €50nl tables, but I’m still playing the €25nl tables at Svenska Spel. “Why would you do that?” Because once I got back to Svenska Spel again after the long break I had around €50-80 in my bankroll (on the site). So, my recent challenge has been to grind that up, I think I’m around a total bankroll of around €1400 right now (But the net profit is lower). The goal is to get around €1600 by the end of December and then make the move up to the €40nl and €50nl stake. I’ll play those stakes simultaneously because of the low traffic on Svenska Spel, but it shouldn’t be a problem (It’s a leaning to a bit more aggressive BRM with only 32BI on €50nl). More about this under my current goals for 2018.

As a new or old reader of this blog you might be interested to jump to the more up to date stuff I’ve been reading about. I think that jumping directly to the last post can work, but if you want to follow the journey for a bit longer I suggest you go to this post here:
      pokermarket.com/forum/thread/4…g/?postID=95554#post95554

This is in my opinion the best place to start reading, because it’s a quick intro about the SvS challenge (I think one month in or so) and the post after starts with my one post every 12 hours with different topics! Put in quite some time to write those so any comments or feedback about that would be awesome!

If you don’t want to read through all the post since then, I would suggest you check out these:

A poker strategy book that I would recommend: pokermarket.com/forum/thread/4…g/?postID=97531#post97531

The current BRM for this challenge: pokermarket.com/forum/thread/4…g/?postID=98178#post98178

A nice psychological book I really liked: pokermarket.com/forum/thread/4…g/?postID=99100#post99100

But I would really recommend reading everything from the link I posted earlier!

If you want to jump right into the action, here’s the last post of November and the current updated graph: pokermarket.com/forum/thread/4…g/?postID=99689#post99689

I’m going to update this first thread post again in the near future, planning my poker approach right now and will share my progress once I've started playing more again. Right now it's very study orientated. Big plans for the summer, stay tuned!

Cheers,
      Osse

The post was edited 13 times, last by osse ().

• Rough start today, I haven't had that much time to play poker this later part of this week. But today I was really pumped to get back at the tables to have a long nice session. But just after 130 hands I'm already down -4 BI. So I guess I just have to wait a while and hopefully get back at the tables tonight. If I feel like it.

Maybe I'll have to wait one more week before I hit 100nl.
    • So this year's SCOOP is over for me. I had no big cash in any of the events I played, I'm pretty happy with the way I played in all of them except one. But I ran super bad in all of them so hopefully better next time! I started with a new challenge the 11th of May this year and tomorrow it's two weeks since. I have kept playing at 50nl to grind up 2k bankroll to play at 100nl. That was my goal for this week and I managed to make it! So I'm going to start playing at the next stake tomorrow! There haven't been any really special hand so far.

This is the graph for both weeks, I had a pretty fast drop in the graph with -4BI over ~130 hands. I also should be able to play more hours of poker, but there isn't that much action on the site during daytime so you have to wait until 5-6pm before it starts to get players. My sessions are usually 2-3 hours, with 5 tables at 50nl. I'm probably going to keep 5 tables for 100nl aswell and then move down to 4 or even 3 at 200nl.

So next week is going to be fun with a new stake! Will two weeks be enough for 100nl? Let's hope it will be enough so we can hit 200nl! I have no other tourneys planned for the next weeks so I will have more time to put into cash game.

Happy grinding!
      Osse

Also found on:
      http://pokerarcher.weebly.com/
    • flow wrote:

graph looks v solid. how many krones = 1€ dude? are those swedish room juicy to play on and are other nations allowed to join it?
      1€ = ~9 SEK, $1 = ~8.5 SEK. So the first stake is around 6nl and the second stake is ~12nl. Third will be 25nl.

I'm not sure about other nations playing on the swedish site, but the site is very juicy, but there can be problems finding tables sometimes. Most of the tables are 5-max.
    • Now we have played for 3 weeks, time goes fast sometimes. We moved up to 100nl in the start of the week and haven't had to move down to 50nl again! I have decided that I'll move down if needed if I'm -5bi at the current stake. Counting from the bankroll I started the stake on, I may also have to play on a lower stake during some hours when there isn't that much action on the site. This last week have been the toughest so far, not because I'm getting outplayed but that I have been running super horrible. The hand count of the week went up to ~5k hands. I should be able to increase it even more to this week's grind. I'll try to hit the 7k mark, which will be 1k/day.

Hands since last week: ~5000
      Current stake: 100nl
      Profit since last week: + ~400kr (4bi)

As the graph shows, we are still profit after the week. But we are running -6bi under EV, which may not seems that much. But since I have only played 5k hands during the last week, it feels like a lot. Let's hope this turns around and we can keep making bigger profit each week. We need to hit the +3k mark on the graph before we move up to 200nl with a 4k bankroll. The road up to 200nl in two weeks became harder to reach, but the goal still stands. For now.

EDIT: Grind so far today have been a pain.. I have lost 3bi on 300 hands, I have lost 2pair < 2pair on flop (-1.5bi) and then QQ < AA on J high flop. Variance.. Please..

EDIT: Back to a 2k bankroll now... running -6bi under EV at 100nl. Fun times. Time to take a break

Happy grinding!
      Osse

The post was edited 3 times, last by osse ().

• marketmaker wrote:

show your ev graph too :)

are you also streaming on Twitch?
      Sure I can post graphs including EV line!

It has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I haven't decided yet if I want to do it. It's a pretty big commitment to start a stream and keep it up and running. I have had a go for streaming a while back (not poker, since it wasn't allowed back then) but some people said they enjoyed it. But it takes a while to grow a decent viewer count.
    • A boring week with a lot of doubts and whining from my side. I have really struggled playing this week and it sucks.. I will just move down next session I have and skip 100nl for the time being. Since I'm not running good and I'm not even sure if I play good anymore. On the swedish site there is almost only 5-max tables and it feels a little weird to play sometimes. Because once in a while you're only four or even three active at the table and that really messes up some gameplay. But I guess that means that it's a lot more swingy to play aswell. So tomorrow it will be 50nl again for me on the swedish site and grind it up until I have 20bi at 100nl again. I need to work a little on my cbetting, because right now I'm not sure how to play against mostly recs and whales daily. It means that most hands are multiway and usually ends in me check-folding everything... Which results in bad session after bad session. My current Agg on 100nl is 1.75, and my Flop Cbet is at 42%. And I'm -3bi at 100nl total over ~6.5k hands.

This is the graph for all stakes since 11th May.

That's that for now,
      Osse
    • osse wrote:

50nl again for me on the swedish site and grind it up until I have 20bi at 100nl again.
      fwiw, I think using an aggro BRM is an ok thing if you stick to the rules, but I have done this in the past and imo I think you should think about building a larger roll before playing 100. The thing is, you take a 2-3 bi shot, you lose a big pot, then you start thinking about how bad you run and if you lose 1 more bi you gotta move down, etc. Also thoughts about having to make 6bi to get back to where you were. These are just my thoughts, but I believe bankroll size plays a huge part in relation to Tilt. I think we play better when we are not thinking about our bankroll.
    • 3betjunkie wrote:

osse wrote:

50nl again for me on the swedish site and grind it up until I have 20bi at 100nl again.
      fwiw, I think using an aggro BRM is an ok thing if you stick to the rules, but I have done this in the past and imo I think you should think about building a larger roll before playing 100. The thing is, you take a 2-3 bi shot, you lose a big pot, then you start thinking about how bad you run and if you lose 1 more bi you gotta move down, etc. Also thoughts about having to make 6bi to get back to where you were. These are just my thoughts, but I believe bankroll size plays a huge part in relation to Tilt. I think we play better when we are not thinking about our bankroll.
      Yes I totally agree that most players play better if they don't have to think about their bankroll. Once you're back at 20bi at 100nl, I guess you could grind ~5bi more for 100nl before taking the shot (10bi at 50nl) So then you move up with 2500 bankroll instead of 2000. Which takes away a little stress atleast. I'll try this instead!
    • flow wrote:

maybe a good idea to change BRM strategy in case you are struggeling too often with it.

also think you need to put in a higher volume. 14k hands/mo are nothing :P
      Yes I know, 14k is nothing.. But I have had so much stuff going on last month and this month aswell. Even though I thought I was going to play more I just haven't really managed to do so.. Which is sad, I need to play a lot more if I want to move up and improve. Hopefully I can increase the volume a lot the upcomming weeks or atleast next month. Since last update here I have only had time to play one sessions on 50nl, so I'm going to try to get in two more this week and then update here on Sunday or Monday. :)
    • I haven't played enough hands to post another graph this update, but I'm up around 3-4bi at 50nl since I moved down. I have decided that the rest of this month I'll stop caring about results at all. I think it might hold me back in both volume and results. So I'll not update here for about 2 weeks now. During this special phase I'll play 50,000 hands total, still following the challenge ofcourse. Just that you guys will see a big change in the graph once I get back. So see ya next month!

Osse

EDIT: CHALLENGE IS ON HOLD FOR NOW, OTHER MORE IMPORTANT THINGS HAVE COME UP.
      EDIT2: CHALLENGE IS NO LONGER ON HOLD.

The post was edited 3 times, last by osse ().