Preflop Corner

• Preflop Corner

Hello boys and girls,

I am currently reenginering my preflop gameplan for microstakes, since I recently started playing onlinepoker again after quite a few years of absence. I would be highly interested in getting different peoples takes on basic opening, 3betting, squeezing or flatting ranges in regular or more unusual spots. It also would be nice if some cool discussions on various subtopics would arise here :)

I am just gonna start off with some basic opening ranges and will add more during the next few days.

UTG:

I'd rather take a tightish approach here, since (at least on the lower limits) i prefer to avoid being dominated too much - same goes for being in need of barrelling OOP.
      --> 152 combos --> 11,46%

Against an unkown's 3bet, i'd rather start tightish as well and continue with the following combos.
      --> 64 combos --> 42% of my opening range

Since I "only" need to to defend ~31% vs normal sized 3bets ( 3bb openraise, 9 bb 3bet --> 6 / (12+6+1,5) = 30,07% ) calling 42% seems a bit wide to me.. Especially against rather tight 3betting ranges. What do you think? I have to emphasize BTW that the goose bumps arising while folding AQo PRE are undeniable and a sole reason to renounce that kind of play.

Depending on the table dynamic or my presumptions in regard to villains range I'd call some AA, KK combos and 4bet some - mostly 4betting tho ;)
      The rest is part of the calling range. Do you guys even recommend having a bluffrange here? (I'm still talking about micros here btw ;) )
      I recently added 2 kombos of KQo and 2 A5s as a 4bet bluffrange vs villains, with wider 3bet ranges. They both don't play horribly bad in case villlain calls; plus: their cardremoval is pretty good since they both block 7 out of the 28 combos of AA,KK, AKs, AKo --> so 25% in total.
      Integrating that would lead to a 4betting range consisting of 4 bluffcombos and ~8 valuecombos (assuming we call 1 combo of AA and 1 of KK), which in total is 8%.

MP:

Opening range:

--> 198 combos --> 14,93%

while continuing with this range might make sense:

79/198 --> 41%
      AA,KK,AKs --> 4bet/ broke range --> 16 combos
      3 x KQo, 1x A5s, 1 x A5s --> 4bet fold --> 5 combos
      So the 4betting range would be 70/30 in terms of value/bluff ratio, which I in general prefer, especially in earlier positions.

So what do you think? Feel free to stone me (verbally) for writing unreasonable bullshit. Feel free to make some fair comments. Feel free to post your own ranges.

Have a nice day everybody,
      Marat
    • Soooooo,
      First of all, you cant not have The same defending Range vs CO than vs SB. Generally, you can call wider IP.

Personally for me, your OR Ranges are far too tight. 11,5% UTG is very nitty and u Are Losing Value. You can definitely widen your range and take more suited aces and suited broadways into your range.

Does it makes sense to have a bluffing range @ micro stakes? A lot of people say No, I think yes, because The population tends to 3bet tight yes, but The Population also overfolds to 4bets. BUT, here you have to make attention which players you Are 4betting. Dont 4bet guys or girls with 4% 3bet stats.
    • Discussing many ranges in a single thread is really difficult.

You can get good preflop ranges from
      1) PokerSnowie free Preflop Advisor
      2) Countless books and online resources
      3) From a high-stakes player you trust who has a range file you can study
      4) Studying high stakes players in datamined hands

In general your ranges can be improved both in frequencies and hand selection.
      For example, in the UT defend range
      AJs is better than QJs.
      TT is better than AQo
    • shman wrote:

Soooooo,
      First of all, you cant not have The same defending Range vs CO than vs SB. Generally, you can call wider IP.

Personally for me, your OR Ranges are far too tight. 11,5% UTG is very nitty and u Are Losing Value. You can definitely widen your range and take more suited aces and suited broadways into your range.

Does it makes sense to have a bluffing range @ micro stakes? A lot of people say No, I think yes, because The population tends to 3bet tight yes, but The Population also overfolds to 4bets. BUT, here you have to make attention which players you Are 4betting. Dont 4bet guys or girls with 4% 3bet stats.
      jep sure, I didn't add to it, that I was talking about defending OOP. IP I'd add a few combos.
      which combos would you tend to include in your UTG ranges besides those mentioned?
      i felt like it's fairly small,but at the same time: raising too many low suited gappers or smaller aces might have heavy reverse implieds, dont you think? at least for utg...

do you personally OR even more than that?

and jep, I'm forbetting quite a bit vs. active regulars, but more on that when i post CO or BU ranges :)
      do you have your OR ranges written down?
    • lnternet wrote:

Discussing many ranges in a single thread is really difficult.

You can get good preflop ranges from
      1) PokerSnowie free Preflop Advisor
      2) Countless books and online resources
      3) From a high-stakes player you trust who has a range file you can study
      4) Studying high stakes players in datamined hands

In general your ranges can be improved both in frequencies and hand selection.
      For example, in the UT defend range
      AJs is better than QJs.
      TT is better than AQo
      yeah, still getting a bit feedback and writing it down in detail is quite helpful for me. and jep I use snowie, but customize its advice a bit in regards to stakes and postflop abilities /comfort
    • First of all, it makes no sense I tell you my ranges, because you should find out your ranges yourself which are the BEST FOR YOU. Adapt them if fishes are in the blinds,...

The only thing which is for sure, 11% is far too tight, because the other players will realize you have an extremely tight range (less value with your Top Range).

And yes, you are dominated some of the time with Ax, but, you have to make some decisions for your ranges. If you don't want want to play Axs, play 65s for example. Then you have the advantage that you cover more board textures with your UTG range, but the disadvantage that you hit less top pairs.