Grind in the middle of a rice field

• gargamel_fk wrote:

flow wrote:

What's the name of your village?

Also try to mix your skin portfolio with some Microgaming and Ipoker skins beside Party and 888. They have much better rakeback. I guess you can play like any poker skin over there.

lovely images btw!
      Sorry but don't really want to say the name. Poker is illegal here and there were extorions by police from poker players... I live 70 km from Nakhon Sawan.Ipoker is no go after they changed to new software and heavily increased rake. I mean they get rid of waiting lists so nowadays even on nl100 it is scripters heaven and GL getting any reasonable table with your ping from Thailand. Microgaming could be good tho traffic during the hours I play is abysmall plus HM2 doesn't support anon tables and I haven't really found any 3rd party software that could help with it. So you need to use PT4 which I never did so would have to spend quite a few hours learning to use it and problably 3-4 days to make HUD and pop-ups.
      @micro you don't have to play ano tables. the regular ones are cool as well. imo worth it trying pt4 out tho. assuming that you aim a longterm success w/ poker.

maybe you should hire a coach that is showing you some attitude mostly regarding a better mindset.

lovely to see so many pics. really, thanks for sharing those! get well soon.
    • flow wrote:

gargamel_fk wrote:

flow wrote:

What's the name of your village?

Also try to mix your skin portfolio with some Microgaming and Ipoker skins beside Party and 888. They have much better rakeback. I guess you can play like any poker skin over there.

lovely images btw!
      Sorry but don't really want to say the name. Poker is illegal here and there were extorions by police from poker players... I live 70 km from Nakhon Sawan.Ipoker is no go after they changed to new software and heavily increased rake. I mean they get rid of waiting lists so nowadays even on nl100 it is scripters heaven and GL getting any reasonable table with your ping from Thailand. Microgaming could be good tho traffic during the hours I play is abysmall plus HM2 doesn't support anon tables and I haven't really found any 3rd party software that could help with it. So you need to use PT4 which I never did so would have to spend quite a few hours learning to use it and problably 3-4 days to make HUD and pop-ups.
      @micro you don't have to play ano tables. the regular ones are cool as well. imo worth it trying pt4 out tho. assuming that you aim a longterm success w/ poker.
      maybe you should hire a coach that is showing you some attitude mostly regarding a better mindset.

lovely to see so many pics. really, thanks for sharing those! get well soon.
      Hm this is a lot more complicated than that. Firstly I did work a lot with Jared Tendler taking private coachings before that I worked with Erik Stenqvist who used to be coach for pokerstrategy. So I did my fair share of working on my mental game. I did improved significantly but I think my last tilt is just result of something else.
      It is a story about why sometimes something what seems to be a reasonable choice end up as a disaster.

I had a great 2014 year making a bunch and traveling the world. I was living with other poker players and believe me and they always wanted to hear advice from me because back then and I think postflop still I have had a very good understanding of the game. The thing is I always study a bunch and just played when I felt like. So I would play usually around 40-50k hands per month with super high winrate playing like 6-8 tables max.
      But what I would hear all the time from my friends was: why you study so much you crush the game already?? why don't you play more?? It seemed like a reasonable advice back then. It was like If I only played 100k hands per month with same results I would be fucking rich. Just it is never that simple,isn't it?
      On top of that there was another mistake and it took me a while to realize it (almost a year). At the end of 2013-beginning of 2014 I got a super deal on Chico poker network (Tiger Gaming/BOL) where I would get around 60% rakeback and the games were still super soft. So I would play there a ton if not exclusively.
      So where was the catch? The software. It still doesn't have a timebank even now on top of that it has this weird think when if you don't click the button and you time out it autofolds your hand (ridiculous right). So what I end up is making super fast decisions without really thinking just because there was no time especially when I increased the number of tables from my usual 8 to 11-12.
      It didn't took me long for my game to deteriorate by a huge margin when I would end up just getting worse and worse at poker.
      So after I a while I leraned it to the unconscious competence level where I just make snap dumb decisions and don't really take the time to really think it thru. It easily cost me a bunch every session while playing.

This was also the problem in 2015 where it would be my strategy to play more and more but my game started to leak more and more. On top of that it just made me lose my motivation and burned out I think.You know in my mind in 2014 I was headed to highstakes and end up moving down and it really shook my confidence and overall well being. In Thailand you don't need much money to live comfortably and lets be honest even making like 2-3k $ per month at poker here isn't really a big deal. So in 2015 I would just make my monthly nut instead of doing something to get better and just enjoy the time with my GF

The post was edited 2 times, last by gargamel_fk ().

• So my Visa expired and I ended up going again to Laos. We have some huge problems with my girlfriend and I am unsure if we are able to overcome them. On top of that I have been in Thailand for 18 moths continuously so my visa situation is getting grimmer and grimmer and I probably won't be able to get one more back to back. So I will either have to go back to my country for a while or switch to some non-o visa which might be difficult.

April I just want to finally grind more after March where due to many problems I only played 50k hands. This month I should not have to many off days apart from Songkran which is like a huge water festival when everyone fight and overall it is super cool experience.

So back to my trip. Overall Laos is basically like Thailand 15 years ago. There is still authoritarian communist government that basically owns the country. It is more like China 10 years ago so you system slowly breaking although it is still illegal to have sex with Lao girl as a foreigner which is kinda ridic but oh well. You will see like super poor people and then like extreme rich that have absolutely insane amount of money even compared to Western Countries. To be honest thats super widespread in Asia where the rich never felt pressure to share any part of their money with other part of the society (India,China,Thailand,Russia all part of the same club with notable exceptions like Japan and South Korea).

So first I took a trip with some Bangkok company mostly because I wanted to avoid problems and they pay their fair share of bribes so we wouldn't have any. So we end up driving by bus all night to the border at Nong Khai. The weird thing about Thai borders is that they close during the night and usually are open only for like 10 hours per day max . Yes they are that lazy.
      So here we are waiting at 5 am for them to finally open the border.

Of course there were problems with the crosing border. I had a 6 hours overstay (yep no joke 6 hours)so I got berated by some thai immigrant officer and forced to go to a different que paid 500 baht fine and end up waiting for 4 hours overall at the border before I was able to cross then went to ambassy and back to hotel super tired.
      I did tho walk little bit around Vientiane so made some pictures:

Whats good about Lao is that they have beer that taste like beer (BeerLao) and is surprisingly decent same for normal bread. End up gaining 3kg in like 3 days, FML.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gargamel_fk ().

• Really nice update and thanks for all those pics! Love to follow your blog here!

gargamel_fk wrote:

We have some huge problems with my girlfriend and I am unsure if we are able to overcome them.

That doesn't sound good. I hope you two can sort it out. I guess the visa problems are a big problem for your relationship as well? In case you would go back to your country, can or would she come with you or isn't that an option?
    • durrrrrsmom wrote:

Really nice update and thanks for all those pics! Love to follow your blog here!

gargamel_fk wrote:

We have some huge problems with my girlfriend and I am unsure if we are able to overcome them.
      That doesn't sound good. I hope you two can sort it out. I guess the visa problems are a big problem for your relationship as well? In case you would go back to your country, can or would she come with you or isn't that an option?
      Yeah it is more like she doesn't really understand how much I did for her and at some point you have to say stop. I mean I need to have my life on my own and while I understand she has a 5 year old son I can't live just for her and her son. Maybe It does make me bad but I don't feel ready nor I want to play the family game the way she wants I mean I can try sometimes and be good for her and her family but at some point it is just enough. I want to be happy and egoistical sometimes so we do things I want even if it is bad for other people that are super important for her (e.g. her family).
      On top of that there is the problem with traffic. Games are super dead for big part of the day you need to either play really early or at night and it is not so easy here so I might to be forced soon to spend at least part of the year elsewhere unless poker gets bigger in Asia because now it is not looking that good (although progress in India seems promising). So it is getting progressively worse and worse to grind during the asian hours.

minhstar wrote:

yeah the beerlao is sometimes very dangerous for farangs.
      after few beerlao farang johnny olsen decided to become a lam lao hip hop star :heart:
      now he has the lao citizenship and is able to make love with lao girls :love: kurwa
      nice tripreport sir and dont drink so much beerlao !

Yeah don't worry just there isn't that much to do in Lao except for drinking and eating. Fortunately it had been just 3 days and I am back to eating rice every day :D
    • Songkran is big fun indeed. I experienced it as well some years ago. It's inevitable to not get wet doesn't matter how hard you try to stay dry.

How long do you stay in Laos/Vientiane? Is it just like 1 day and nobody in Thailand cares about your short hop-over? Been to South America, bribing at the borders is a big concern there as well. When showing your passport you just add some dollars and then you don't have any probs...

Those pics look pretty amazing, love this blog <3
    • flow wrote:

Songkran is big fun indeed. I experienced it as well some years ago. It's inevitable to not get wet doesn't matter how hard you try to stay dry.

How long do you stay in Laos/Vientiane? Is it just like 1 day and nobody in Thailand cares about your short hop-over? Been to South America, bribing at the borders is a big concern there as well. When showing your passport you just add some dollars and then you don't have any probs...

Those pics look pretty amazing, love this blog <3
      Well Laos is not like the most popular destination especially that even the capital Vientiane isn't any better than some average city in Isaan (poor part of Thailand) so honestly there isn't that much reason to go to Laos because in Thailand you have it all just better (same in Vietnam).
      I was only 2 days in Vientiane but it was my 3rd time in Laos just it is most of the time uneventful. Do want to make a trip there at some point just I was struggling with every day problems lately and I just want to travel Thailand first.
      The visa issue is getting worse and worse for all farangs here. Thailand have a huge issue with illegal workers so they desperately try to tighten up visa abuse. For example in our trip to Laos for visa 80% of the trip were Filipinos and basically all of them work in Thailand illegally (mostly as English teachers). So we farangs get caught in a cross fire. Even when I talk with my GF and some people that have been here for a while Thai people are just fed up with all of the people that live in their country bunch of them weirdos scummy guys and outright disrespectful towards Thai people.

And Yeah been living in South America too but the visa problem isn't nowhere near the situation here now. It is just they are very welcoming there mostly because they don't have a huge problem with immigration so they are happy some foreigners want to live in their country. It is no longer the case in Thailand.
    • Had to check my results for last month and got absolutely destroyed. This year so far is like a huge disaster. I see people I used to play and talk strategy with playing higher and making 5-6 times more money. First time in long time I just wanted to seat and cry. Honestly I don't want to play poker anymore. I tried to hire the coach tried desperately to get better but I am unable to and year after year I am making less and less money.
      I do table select and for example games on 888 were super soft lately yet I got completely and utterly smashed mostly by fish. Same on Party Poker I do table select and I feel like I am having an edge but I don't. And I don't know what to do.....
    • gargamel_fk wrote:

Had to check my results for last month and got absolutely destroyed. This year so far is like a huge disaster. I see people I used to play and talk strategy with playing higher and making 5-6 times more money. First time in long time I just wanted to seat and cry. Honestly I don't want to play poker anymore. I tried to hire the coach tried desperately to get better but I am unable to and year after year I am making less and less money.
      I do table select and for example games on 888 were super soft lately yet I got completely and utterly smashed mostly by fish. Same on Party Poker I do table select and I feel like I am having an edge but I don't. And I don't know what to do.....
      I am sorry to hear that. TBH, you sound some kind desperate :( Do you have a plan for the future? Maybe it was the wrong coach for you and you should look for a better coach? Or Maybe a skype study group?
    • yamiyami wrote:

gargamel_fk wrote:

Had to check my results for last month and got absolutely destroyed. This year so far is like a huge disaster. I see people I used to play and talk strategy with playing higher and making 5-6 times more money. First time in long time I just wanted to seat and cry. Honestly I don't want to play poker anymore. I tried to hire the coach tried desperately to get better but I am unable to and year after year I am making less and less money.
      I am sorry to hear that. TBH, you sound some kind desperate :( Do you have a plan for the future? Maybe it was the wrong coach for you and you should look for a better coach? Or Maybe a skype study group?
      It was more like out of the frustration. March was a month I had every problem in the world gf,being sick, losing days and then running super poorly and making silly mistakes. So the month when everything that could go wrong did . Had to spend tons of money in March bought new computer and then some not expected expenses happened but I ended up basically broke even so instead of moving up I am basically back to square one. So frustrating.
      I have no idea how much of what is happening is that I am outplayed and play bad or it is just variance but it feels ridiculous like every decision end up poorly.
    • gargamel_fk wrote:

yamiyami wrote:

gargamel_fk wrote:

It was more like out of the frustration. March was a month I had every problem in the world gf,being sick, losing days and then running super poorly and making silly mistakes. So the month when everything that could go wrong did . Had to spend tons of money in March bought new computer and then some not expected expenses happened but I ended up basically broke even so instead of moving up I am basically back to square one. So frustrating.I have no idea how much of what is happening is that I am outplayed and play bad or it is just variance but it feels ridiculous like every decision end up poorly.
      I know that feeling not only when it comes to poker. But I am pretty sure there will be better days soon! What about your last days? I hope at least some good days with decent results?
    • durrrrrsmom wrote:

gargamel_fk wrote:

yamiyami wrote:

gargamel_fk wrote:

It was more like out of the frustration. March was a month I had every problem in the world gf,being sick, losing days and then running super poorly and making silly mistakes. So the month when everything that could go wrong did . Had to spend tons of money in March bought new computer and then some not expected expenses happened but I ended up basically broke even so instead of moving up I am basically back to square one. So frustrating.I have no idea how much of what is happening is that I am outplayed and play bad or it is just variance but it feels ridiculous like every decision end up poorly.
      I know that feeling not only when it comes to poker. But I am pretty sure there will be better days soon! What about your last days? I hope at least some good days with decent results?
      They are but I am sick again. This is a huge problem here I probably need to start supplement my body better because it seems my autoimmune system is in shambles. Just wanted to get better last couple of days so I was still playing really good volume but have no idea about results I don't check them because it gives me nothing. I do try to improve my diet and slowly it seems to get better. Basically I have some throat problem that keep returning with some thai bacteria that makes it a lot more difficult to breath and my spit gets yelowish. I don't have a fever or anything like that but destroys my sleep because it wakes me up because I need to caugh otherwise I can't breathe. Makes me tired all the time.
      So I try to work on my game at least something every day have some new ideas to test and trying to improve but somehow my HUD stats don't show that but I think a lot of it is still Variance e.g. not getting suited crap on BTN and getting more than my fair distribution of offsuit trash so I end up stealing like 42-44% from BTN instead of 55% I want to get to.
      Same for defending BB vs BTN minraise where I notoriously underdefend I did some improvements in a way I call more but it is because I stopped 3betting the hands that are very profitable to call but at the same time haven't yet change my 3bet strategy where I can easily add like 8-12% to my 3bet because it is now way to value heavy after I started to call my suited trash I would 3bet before.

Unfortunately don't have new pictures so probably will disappoint but on Tuesday we will go to visit family in Chiang Rai so be ready for a report of epic water fight in a week or so. Untill then I just want to work on my game and improve at least little bit every day.
    • I am pretty confident when reading this in on year you gonna laugh about it. just put in tons of work to improve and even more important grind out your soul!

what is the basic amount of money you need to live well there on avg?

do you live together with your thai girlfriend? marry her to stay in thailand without any visa probs?

would love to see some pics of a common dish you eat regularly btw + get well!
    • flow wrote:

I am pretty confident when reading this in on year you gonna laugh about it. just put in tons of work to improve and even more important grind out your soul!

what is the basic amount of money you need to live well there on avg?

do you live together with your thai girlfriend? marry her to stay in thailand without any visa probs?

would love to see some pics of a common dish you eat regularly btw + get well!
      Well the thing is I am lost with improving. I mean it is obvious that my strategies I used to use are not good if they were I wouldn't be in a position I am now. I wrote to our fellow coach and blogger petersile that has a blog here or at least used to but he didn't respond.
      I do know that it is just my frustration or anger but sometimes lately I feel like I am in some "why does it always rain on me" type of comedy. To give you example from today it is super hot lately (40+ C every fucking day) I used to avoid aircon like a plague because it always make me sick and I have been sick like all the time lately here. So I was forced to make it anyway in the room I work or otherwise it would be impossible to work. So they came today connected it all to the same line my computer is charged with and boom can't use my computer or I have to chose or risk hoping it won't blow the installation at least during my session. The only guy here that do energy stuff has problem with his arm and can't work for couple of weeks? So now instead of working will probably have to take my GF and go to bigger city find someone who could fix it.
      Not to mention that it forces me to withdraw money from my already not so comfortable budget.
      So normally situation like that would just made me laugh but when you get such a bad variance in every aspect of life for 1+ month it really start to gets to you.

The cost of living is tricky but without any additional cost it should be around 1k $ for all of us but if you add some unexpected expenses that basically always happen then 40-45k which is probably around 1400$ just to be on a safe end.

Yes I live with my GF and her son so basically like a family already and yeah at this point getting married is probably the only option left for us or I would need to leave and I doubt we would be still together one year from now if I left.

Food I will make some pictures tommorow if I don't forge. However Here in the Village we all (so 3 of us) end up usually going to "restaurant" where we end up paying like 5 euro for all the food (+drinks) so don't expect too much.

But in 3 days I will go with my GF to visit her familly for Songkran festival so no poker for a coupe of days but will make a lot of pictures of the festival,food and the life of ordinary Thais.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gargamel_fk ().

• I have a some sort of paranoia combined with tilt. I see monsters under the bed. My opponents range is nuts, period so I check/call R with sets etc.

Party, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $100.75 (100.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $139.87 (139.9 bb)
      CO: $111.18 (111.2 bb)
      BTN: $100.50 (100.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q Q
      CO raises to $3, 2 folds, Hero raises to $11, CO calls $8

Flop: ($22.50) 3 8 Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $14.25, Hero calls $14.25

Turn: ($51) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($51) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $32.66, Hero calls $32.66

Results:
      Display Spoiler
      $116.32 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 3 8 Q 7 J
      Hero showed Q Q and won $114.32 ($56.41 net)
      CO showed K Q and lost (-$57.91 net)

Party, $0.50/$1 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $105.41 (105.4 bb)
      BB: $100.49 (100.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $102.50 (102.5 bb)
      CO: $62.23 (62.2 bb)
      BTN: $113.15 (113.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A A
      Hero raises to $3, 2 folds, SB calls $2.50, BB folds

Flop: ($7) 9 T A (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($7) J (2 players)
      SB bets $5.05, Hero calls $5.05

River: ($17.10) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $13.85, Hero calls $13.85

Results:
      Display Spoiler
      $44.80 pot ($2.24 rake)
      Final Board: 9 T A J 4
      SB showed J J and lost (-$21.90 net)
      Hero showed A A and won $42.56 ($20.66 net)

And then when I finally tell to myself I need to raise some Rivers for thinish value this happen:
      Party, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players

SB: $101.15 (202.3 bb)
      Hero (BB): $65.20 (130.4 bb)
      UTG+1: $21.17 (42.3 bb)
      UTG+2: $82.15 (164.3 bb)
      MP1: $50.92 (101.8 bb)
      MP2: $46 (92 bb)
      MP3: $50 (100 bb)
      CO: $38.41 (76.8 bb)
      BTN: $13.75 (27.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K J
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, 2 folds, BTN calls $0.50, SB completes, Hero raises to $3, 2 folds, SB calls $2.50

Flop: ($7) 5 8 J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $5, SB calls $5

Turn: ($17) 5 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($17) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $12.25, Hero raises to $24.50, SB raises to $51.25, Hero calls $26.75

Results:
      Display Spoiler
      $119.50 pot ($3 rake)
      Final Board: 5 8 J 5 5
      SB showed 5 6 and won $116.50 ($57.25 net)
      Hero mucked K J and lost (-$59.25 net)

I am just very very scared. It is good that tommorow is the last day of grind and I will take couple of days break because otherwise it would be really grim given how badly it looks. I just don't play well I don't go for thin value and believe regs becuase their range when they raise me is "nuts or hands that will become nuts If I call them so better to fold Flop/Turn and save little money". So I don't bluffcatch don't fight for the pots and don't bluff at all.
      You can't really play and win with such a mindset