Grind in the middle of a rice field

• osse wrote:

ilidek wrote:

lieschenmüller wrote:

Sounds like some "mental" coaching might be worth a try? I guess there are some really good guys out there who might be able to help with that?
      I think people in general overestimate the impact of mental coaches. They kind of find more of problems than you really have, rather than fix the one you have. Assuming that you have problems they find, what would give you 6max coach who says:Ok you have problems of playing 20bb- deep, 40-60bb deep, and 200bb deep. We have to build you ranges preflop as UTG / MP / HJ / BU / BB vs agro table, vs passive table , vs nitty table, we have to build those ranges in corelation to their postflop tendencions, also we have to build your defalt game in LP, SRP, 3bet Pots, 4bet pots and make shifts to those, we have to build your OR/3bet Jam range vs 20 and 40bb-60bb deep guys and so forth. Your game would become way worse than before. I have a feeling that mental coaches are like that. My feeling comes form using best ones out there.
      Feels more like you're talking about a poker coach right now? Or am I missing something here? Isn't a mental coach more psychological aspects of your own mind and less directly poker related? As the quote below it's more related to improve your mental picture of finishing a task and achieve goals?

gargamel_fk wrote:

Nah I stopped working with the coach. The reason being that no amount of coaching is going to help you if you are simply lazy/unable to put the hours.

ilidek wrote:

osse wrote:

Feels more like you're talking about a poker coach right now? Or am I missing something here? Isn't a mental coach more psychological aspects of your own mind and less directly poker related? As the quote below it's more related to improve your mental picture of finishing a task and achieve goals?
      I used an example of poker strategy becuase it will be easier for people to understand what I mean on straategy example.

This is like a broader problem. I did many hours of work with mental coaches including pretty much everyone on the market for poker (well for dr Tricia Cardner I just read her books and the books she suggested) and I want to say it didn't work and was for the most part just waste of money in time. In fact I think I would be much better spending this time and money on my technical skill at poker.
      I think Pawel's/ilidek experience is simmilar.

For the most part the reason is that all the psychic guys try to attack tilt problem which is purely emotional with logic so basically "talk yourself out of tilt" approach. Didn't work for me and probably many other people either. I think this is one of the reason Elliot Roe is so popular in poker world now. I mean I am not huge fan of hypnosis myself but I know that many myself included by simply relaxing and letting go can decrease your emotional level with hypnosis and gives you a lot more than houndred of hours writing mental hand histories and tilt profiles.

Believe me I did a ton of work with this issue and more knowledge about your tilt and why you are tilting doesn't make it better and it is not I am not trying to attack this problem (remember Jared even told me once he never had a customer working on this problem more than me). Lately I just completely changed my strategy but I don't want to say I found better solution prematurely because I want to check the results first before giving my honest opinion. (I mean from working with mental coaches just having the mirror experience and talking about your problems with someone helps or it feels that way and It takes a while to be able to put honest evaluation of the process)

So basically what I am doing now is I am purely focuing on the emotional state of things and work with Tonny Robbins stuff. I was never a fan and always thought about it as unscientifical but so many successful guys vouch for him and I am still stuck so I gave it a shot. So at this point I mostly work on chaning my state rapidly and being able to put myself in a strong state during the play (so trying to put my body in a state of absolute confidence and catching myself when I seat when playing my C and D game). The results are already better than hundreds of hours spend on my work with Jared and other coaches. Thats the truth.

I mean I can understand that there are people for whom it might work I mean attacking your emotions with logic. For me attacking emotions with emotions and really working hard to put myself in a strong state (so put my body in a state where I feel unstoppable and confident )seems to be a better way to approach it. I mean I see progress despite being in a mids of a downswing but again ask me in 6 months time whether the results are there for me to give you honest opinion. The good thing that working with Tonny Robbins stuff is a lot easier and doens't take as much time and writing all the profiles and mental hand histories.
    • Great post @gargamel_fk!

Guess you describe exactly the problem that lots of players (including me) have. There is not one thing I did not try, but in the end I end up tilting again. Just because you know all about it doesn't mean you can avoid it and another approach might be necessary.

gargamel_fk wrote:

I mean I can understand that there are people for whom it might work I mean attacking your emotions with logic

If really strong emotions took over I am pretty sure you can't fight it with logic. Emotions are much stronger at this point and you need to find a different way. Anyway, still looking for a solution. Maybe I am just a hopeless case?! :) Anyway, best of luck to you! Love reading your blog.
    • Yeah, great post!

You guys play higher stakes with smaller edges and higher variance, so I guess it is a bit different for someone like me (micro grinder), but it is for sure a topic not only related to poker. Improving your mindset can have huge impact in so many different areas of live and that is the reason I was always interested in topics around this stuff. But it is also one of the most difficult things to really improve longterm and keep fighting to become a better version of yourself.
    • @gargamel_fk how did you finish the year 2017? What are your goals for 2018?

About trash-food and drinks: Where do they come from? I mean when you consume them at home, how did they come into your household... just never ever buy them and bring them home so that if you really want them you would need to go out to the next 7/11-kinda shop and on the way you could reevalute the decision. If you crave a coke after a long day out with GF and her shopping around or after hiking a few hours through the NP nearby than just go for it - just don't bring this shitty food stuff home.
    • kooort wrote:

@gargamel_fk how did you finish the year 2017? What are your goals for 2018?

About trash-food and drinks: Where do they come from? I mean when you consume them at home, how did they come into your household... just never ever buy them and bring them home so that if you really want them you would need to go out to the next 7/11-kinda shop and on the way you could reevalute the decision. If you crave a coke after a long day out with GF and her shopping around or after hiking a few hours through the NP nearby than just go for it - just don't bring this shitty food stuff home.
      Well I had a pretty shitty 2017 for the most part but finished the year really strong. So far didn't really make any longer term plans except maybe for a month or so. I mean I need to be more consistent on a daily basis rather than making huge long term plans that I am happy to make but I am never following thru. Want to start to work on my game and do it better than the last year plan to start working with Paul "Internet" will see how it goes.

When it goes to buying shitty food it just my addiction pattern. As a person that have been stuggling for many many years with addictions I can tell you food is just one o them for me. I don't know how it goes for others but for me pattern is exactly the same as it is in poker. When I run well, I work out,try to sleep well and take care of myself but say I had a terrible night sleep then I played because I kinda felt like I need to because thats my job, lost a ton cause playing unfocused, getting desperate to get back to even not quiting after reaching my stop loss and end up feeling super miserable about myself and it is almost a humiliating experience. So I grab my bike go buy coke and trashy food and end up watching some random shit while eating shitty food just to make myself feel better I guess or at least not to think about the shitty experience I just had. So the day after I feel like shit again because bad food and bad sleep and then I repeat the pattern over and over again unless one of 2. things happen : 1) I start running well catch some heat for couple of days(most of the time) ; 2) I get tired of this and bullshiting myself and push myself to work out again and eat healthier (very very rarely).

This is exactly the same like it is with my poker. I mean people would be shocked to see how wide of a range I have in my game. Like when I am at the top of my mental state etc. I am one of the better regs at nl200 when I am at my worst I am probably random nl50 donk.
    • Big update
      Hi everyone.
      Decided it has been quite a while since I updated my blog. Not even sure why is that but maybe just because when things go well you are just to busy to live your life.
      On the poker side of things I play now nl100-nl200 on softer sites and it goes just fine. I mean before I discovered Chinese sites last year it started to look pretty grim but instead I finished the year pretty strong.
      Really going this year to make 100k USD+ . It seems really doable but I need to take care of my health better and not eat shit. Also need to sleep better and be more organized with my life.
      This is something I also talked with Paul on the first coaching. How important it is to have a routine where you play exactly the same hours and wake up/go to sleep around same time. Routine isn't bad and it really makes your life easier when your body is used to doing stuff at specific times.

This is also an important milestone in my poker life as I have been working with Paul "Internet" for I guess 1.5 month at this point? Or maybe 2 months I should say. I always wanted to do it in the past but never really had bankroll for it. So finally after so many years I can afford it.

Well I wish I could say we take the coachings more often but for now I mostly stick to one coaching every 3 weeks or so mostly because I never realized how behind I am in theory and how important it is.
      I do a bunch of stuff completely randomly without having any reasoning behind it and I don't even know well the simple math like pot odds etc. (well know it get better but I needed to be remained of it and the importance of it as I was never really thinking in terms of pot odds when doing stuff like calling/bluffing).
      So thats the good thing that while working with Paul we did a lot of theory behind calling and betting so far and I still need to work a lot on it as being told it once doesn't mean I know it well. In fact I probably know it quite poorly still.

So thats how my life looks lately a lot of playing and looking for new soft places to play and spending time with my family. Planning to move to Cambodia probably in 4-5 months or so as I am little bit tired of Thailand tbh. I have been here to long and at some point it is just too much and the small idiocies of Thialand just set me off. Need to take a break from Thailand for sure.

Travel
      Needed to do a visa trip again so decided to do it and go to Birma/Myanmar for one day.
      So we took 4 days off 3 days in Bangkok and my visa run . Met some super cool guy I know from 2+2 had some fun and got drunk so thats positive. Also spend time with my wife and we ate way too much sushi :D

Thats one of the thing I realized that probably we need to move out of the Village/City we live in. I mean it is cool to have nice apartment that is huge and everything is cheap but I really miss living in big city and all the options it brings.

Speaking of Myanmar/Burma. I would never expect people still live like that in XXI century. Right after we crossed to their country there wasn't even real road there. The small birmanese city we came into had no streets and real houses or anything resembling real houses

Ok thats all I guess. Will try to write more often Will see how it goes.

Peace