Poopy on i300

• Small update:

results improved a lot in the last 130k hands or so, and I don't think it's only variance. My game changed quite a bit. I think the main issue with me was that I was (and sometimes still am) too passive, not fighting enough for pots. It's not that my abilities to hand read were not there, they were, I just wasn't actively looking to exploit people and adjust.

Mindset wise, things are going well. I still do my headspace sessions, still do some regular mental coachs with a friend and most of the time I'm in a good place. But I know my game deteriorates if I have a string of bad sessions, and instead of thinking in the right play, my mind wanders more often and I make mistakes, lots of which I catched in a recent session review I did with Paul.

I keep playing Nl100-NL200. Don't feel prepared yet to try nl400. But we will see.
    • 2017 Review

I got into the team Internet300 in May 2016, so it's now about 1 year and a half since my entry.

I can honestely say that it was the best thing that could have happened to my poker career. There were many hours of coachings, lots of forum discussion and lots of chats in skype and in person. I knew Paul Otto for a while, back in 2013/2014 i had a few coaches with him and always loved his videos, they were by far the best. Looking back I feel a little bit bad that an opportunity for entering a coaching deal didn't appear.

At the end of these 18 months of learning, fighting mental game and self-reflection I think i came up with some conclusions that I'd like to share:

- I continue to think that the most important and hard component in poker is the mindset, and it will be it that will determine success. Cognitive capability is important, but if one certain level is there (and most people i contacted with along my career had that level) then it will be the mindset that will make the difference. When I say mindset i don't mean only "tilt", but things like motivation, patience, perseverance. Putting it in another way, I am pretty sure that a highstakes crusher is not more intelligent (whatever that means) than most microstakes regs that can't beat 25NL. What the crusher has in spades is an amazing work ethic and, more importantely, an "inner enjoyment" for the game that drives him to study and play to a degree that no finantial motivation could ever do.

- It's a lot easier to learn and improve in poker when we are focused on it full time. Seems obvious but I haven't really realized it before. Have you tried to play and study 7-8 hours a day, every day, for a week? Do that and you will see what I mean.

- To learn poker from someone you need to hear him and interact for many many hours. Before i300 I was already a decent player, and despite that it took me around a year to grasp and apply concepts that improved my game. So, 1 hour coaching or watching 3-4 videos at RIO of you favourite producer helps, but it's a drop of water in an ocean.

- No one tought me before a good part of the basic concepts I learned, like doing calldowns or barreling exercises. It's not that i did a lot of them (i should have) but knowing how it works and doing some to have some familiarity with the process and with the ranges is very important.

- Having a group of people that we can interact regularly also helps in less predictable ways. Knowing what smart people are thinking is very useful, like life choices, investments, exercise, habits, etc.

Changing the subject, graph of the year:

It's mostly 100NL and 200NL, 100NL was ~4bbs/100, 200NL around 1bb/100.

I always want more of myself, but on average I'm reasonably satisfied. I'm particulary satisfied that I know and feel that I am a better player now than I was at the beginning of the year.

2018 promises to be particulary hard, stressful but potentially very rewarding. Let's do it.
    • kellyd400 wrote:

That a boy Pedro,did you change anything from 335k hands onwards
      Hard to say because it's easy in retrospect to create stories to explain stuff. The last 100k hands in that graph I played almost as a full time player, and I think that made a difference, being able to imerse myself in poker without too many distractions. I also found myself being able to put up with long sessions with a very nice focus throughout the whole session, not sure how that changed. But it's that thing I mention in the previous post, trying to find an inner enjoyment in playing that is beyond results/fear of loosing, etc.
    • That intrinsic motivation you call inner enjoyment into playing is hard to impossible to find if it isn't there from the getgo. But you got discipline which is way more important in establishing and refining habits for efficiency and consistency.
      In a way that gives meaning to what you do and that is the most important thing to feel about your work, that should be enough to continue on this path.
      The extrinsic motivation you speak about when being able to communicate with skilled and smart people sharing your trait is exceptionally important, because it helps so much being objective about things and keep a growth mindset going.

Making yourself dependent solely on the enjoyment of the game as a pro in order to perform is not a good approach in my eyes. And you also suffer if you shut yourself out of socializing with other poker players. There are rare cases where individuals get to the top without some kind of partnerships, but they are rare.
      And I mean we are talking about a profession where maybe 10% if that are successful over long periods of time. So good for you and impressive achievements so far! Have a good 2018!
    • wafflecrunch wrote:

That intrinsic motivation you call inner enjoyment into playing is hard to impossible to find if it isn't there from the getgo. But you got discipline which is way more important in establishing and refining habits for efficiency and consistency.
      In a way that gives meaning to what you do and that is the most important thing to feel about your work, that should be enough to continue on this path.
      The extrinsic motivation you speak about when being able to communicate with skilled and smart people sharing your trait is exceptionally important, because it helps so much being objective about things and keep a growth mindset going.

Making yourself dependent solely on the enjoyment of the game as a pro in order to perform is not a good approach in my eyes. And you also suffer if you shut yourself out of socializing with other poker players. There are rare cases where individuals get to the top without some kind of partnerships, but they are rare.
      And I mean we are talking about a profession where maybe 10% if that are successful over long periods of time. So good for you and impressive achievements so far! Have a good 2018!
      Yes, I agree with you that inner enjoyment is in big part an inate trait. But we can still so something about it, making an effort to be present and having a genuine curiosity about the thing we're doing (in this case, poker). Meditation i think helps in this respect.

Oh yes, discipline is very important and i do mention "work ethic" in the post. I'm not trying to say that those things are not important, they are super important. But even if you are super eficient and consistent, you can still be doing a B-game play a lot of the time, because we are lacking that sense of joy.

Thanks for the comments!
    • I will begin again offering private coachings. The main part of the Internet300 adventure is over and I always enjoyed teaching poker. Actually, I enjoyed it so much that in retrospect I guess it did hurt me back in the PokerStrategy days, I spent a lot of time doing public and private coachings and producing videos, I think I didn't put enough effort back then in studying and playing.

Anyway, I created a coaching offering here on PokerMarket: pokermarket.com/profile.php#!/profile/6103/coaching

Some results from last 6 months:

• wafflecrunch wrote:

Are you going to vegas with i300?

Keep us updated if you do so. Always nice to have a blog sweat during WSOP events.

If not disregard, but keep us updated on your online career.
      Not going :( Decided a while back that it wasn't a good time for me to go. Anyway, taxes would be an issue that would likely prevent me from going anyway.

Online updates, May really sucked, worst month in a very long time. Unsure why. Mixture of bad run, some bad played sessions and a bit of a difficulty getting back to playing full throttle volume (didn't play March and part of April). I dealt with it okay, i guess a lot better than I would in the past. I think that the fact I am an i300 member gave me the knowledge and therefore the confidence to not freak out too much. June is going a lot better, putting lots of volume and good quality of playing. Quite satisfied with that.

The plan is making an effort in the next months to put in the most energy and time that I can on playing and improving, given that I will have a little more time available. Now is the time to try and make relevant sums of moniez. Moreover, I want a Tesla Model 3 :)
    • So, I've been trying to put in a decent amount of volume in the last few months. Of course is not easy given that poker is just a part time job for me. Still, In June, I had 2 weeks off work and grinded a lot, ended up the month with around 60k hands which is quite nice. I did some accounting recentely, results are okayish. I am not crushing, still, the hourly is well above my hourly at regular job.

Still struggling with the focus juggling that I have to do. It's seems obvious to me now that it is what it would be expected, playing poker is a high skill/performance activity, can't really be using 25% of my productive time to poker and expect to perform at the highest level. This obvious realization has been useful to me, it made it easier to be kind to myself and not too judgemental.

Anyways, whole September is going to be off regular work completely. I will divide my attention on a weekly basis, to take max advantage of PartyPoker rakeback. So this is week has been full throttle. Grinding 5-6h (up to 200nl) a day and studying 2h. Next week will unplug a bit, try to relax, do stuff with the wife, etc. And then back to grinding. I'm enjoying it so far.

Decided to make a small video for PokerMarket, which is actually my first in english, anyone interested can check it out: pokermarket.com/marketplace.ph…session-50nl-fast-forward

Thanks for reading!